Brick fireplace with Heatilator dx36ai - want to run 110v power and cat6 cable - questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GroundLoop

Nov 22, 2021
Frankfort, IL
Looking to hang a flat screen TV over the fireplace, The firebox is a Heatilator dx36ai. Took the top cover off and to me it looked like the brick above the firebox is hollow. Started drill a pilot hole in the side and ran into a 2nd layer of brick (see picture) about 6 inches inside of the facing brick. If I push a fish tape into the pilot hole in front it is hitting the 2nd layer of brick as well. Since the Heatilator has its own chimney stack going up and I am no where near that can I just go ahead and blow through the 2nd layer of brick? What is the 2nd layer of brick for? Other options? How difficult is it to remove the Heatilator trim. Maybe the cables could be snaked down the front and then pushed through the side?

20211122_170422.jpg 20211122_170446.jpg

I think what you are attempting to do will not be easy, even if you are able to get a fish steel over there where are you going to get the 120 volt connection from? What kind of box and wire are you going to use? Cutting the brick for a cut in box would be hard and surface mount would stick out.
I have installed lots of wall mount tvs through the years usually hooked to cable and a cat 6 for computer interface mostly in office and conference room settings. Brick and tile wall was always a challenge we typically used 2 methods for that. First was to bolt the mount directly on the wall and use wiremold for our power and low voltage wire, 2 separate runs. The second was a post that hung from the ceiling with wires concealed in the pipe , this looked better but was more expensive and more labor.
If you can get to you attic I would recommend one of theses methods. Remember all wire splices need to be done in a junction box and readily accessible along with the plugs.

I am going to second brining it down from the attic.
It’s the right way.
I have central chimney that you can walk 360 around. Right now I have 5 items I need to plug into a receptacle. Cat 6 comes down my mast mount from the attic. I have a power strip zip tied to my mount for everything with an extension cord running all the way down and around to the back chimney wall where I added receptacles and it bugs me. Plan is to run power down the mast to a hard wired power strip securely mounted the mount??? Not sure yet. I purposely used a mast mount to hang the tv away from the stone. I second guess that all the time. It was the best way I could get tilt and swivel without full articulated mount for a REALLY heavy plasma that’s no longer there.

Thanks guys! Great idea with the attic area. Never even thought of that. It is a suspended ceiling up there and I have cat 6 in there now. Now to convince the wife to replace the old 55" with a new 4k 65"..........

Reactions: EbS-P
Plan is to run power down the mast to a hard wired power strip securely mounted the mount???
I have used a few mounts that had a junction box made in them, we run power down the mast hardwire a receptacle then fasten a power strip if needed.

Reactions: EbS-P