Bricks are more expensive but burn longer. Does it end costing about the same as cords of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone really burnt these bricks for a while to compare wood vs bricks; at the end of the season?
I realize that it is about $50 more a cord for the bricks but they are totally dry and burn longer. What are your thoughts?

I am wondering that for those of us that have mostly softwood to burn they might be a bargain. My neighbour just picked up a ton of a similiar product only 10 miles away. Price is $180 or $150 if you return the boxes. CSD softwood around here is selling for between 160 and 220 a cord. For myself, am thinking that I can probably haul 1/3 of a ton per trip. So, an extra $15 for gas. Nice to handle, 150 boxes, 8 pieces per box. Maybe next winter I might give those puppies a whirl. :-/

At prices of $225 (delivered) and lower, they look pretty good. But always remember (east coasters) that these are sold by the TON, not by the cord. A cord of good hardwood can weigh in a 1 1/2 to 2 tons.

When the prices get much higher than $250, I would have concern as compared to some other fuels.....but they still work well as a filler or for recreational and occasional use. However, if I was going to burn manufactured products MOST of the time, I would move over to the pellet side of things!

Last spring I ended up buying Biobricks for $270/ton delivered. At the same time I could get partially seasoned C/S/D oak for $250 a cord. At those prices I figured it was paying about 1/3rd more for the bricks on a BTU basis. But the convenience of easier storage and handling swayed me.

So far, just a few burns and they're fine. But I don't think I'm getting longer burns, just easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.