Broke but new Farm Boss 290--Cheep.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hornet

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Saw a add here in our local small town paper. Guy has a Stihl Farm Boss 290 for sale, only $100. Sounds like a good deal so I called him. He told me that the saw was less than a year old and was in like new condition, BUT, he loaned it to his brother in law and the saw was serviced with straight gas. So the engine is locked up .. It'll take a new cylinder, piston, rings and who knows what else. So I passed, Did I do right by not taking a project like this.? Probably take some money and effort to bring back from the dead. David

fixable but if you have a 290, a good parts saw too.
$50 would be my offer.
Can check on price of parts but, price adds up quick & it's still a used saw.
Just IMO.

Saw retails new for $370. Hard to justify expensive parts for these. Sometimes they can be broke loose and re-ringing and they'll run ok but thats a pretty big if for $100. Good pass.

A 260/261 would be a better fit for you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.