broken elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM

Jan 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I broke the elbow for my insert testing the fit of the block off plate. The 45 degree adjustable elbow popped apart at one of the seams. Can it be fixed or are they welded with the pieces fitted together?

Kevin.

Thought it was your elbow. This is better.

I'd just buy a new one. No sense screwing around.

staplebox said:
Thought it was your elbow. This is better.

I'd just buy a new one. No sense screwing around.

I'm with staplebox and glad it was not YOUR elbow.

I'd say the elbow is shot. Either it was weak at the seam or you are a brute and didn't know it. If the elbow was used out in my shop I might try hammering back together, but not for use in the house. Play it safe friend, the world is not done with you yet. :)

Glad it was the metal one, not the bone one! My vote as well, they are reasonably cheap so better safe than sorry IMHO. If one seam popped apart, the others may be weak as well. Maybe you could fudge it back together to continue testing, but I would value the peace of mind from putting a fresh one in for the final install.

is it single wall? they fall apart all the time. i would bring it back to where you bought it and tell em it's defective and get a new one.

I think the elbow got caught on the screw head on top of the stove when I was pulling it out, by the time I noticed it was stuck I couldn't go forward or backward without bending it more by forcing it. After many attempts last night and this morning I figured out the pieces sort of screw back together if you start it right and nothing slips the wrong way while rotating it 370 degrees. The pieces looked fine and I can't pull it apart now that it is back together. I will be much more careful sliding the stove in and out for the final install.

If I hadn't had so much trouble and time getting the elbow I would have bought a new one. It took over two weeks to get this one and I had to go through the commercial distributor who usually won't sell to the public. It is a long story.

Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.