broken fan in a mitsubishi mini split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paul w.

Jul 14, 2017
cleveland ohio
installed two Mitsubishi mini split units in my home. first floor unit worked perfectly, second floor unit was turned on only to hear grinding sound. a closer look showed a broken fan. completely sheared off two sections to the left of the motor. contractor never saw this before. contacted the heating supply house last night to secure another fan. the question is, did the fan break in transit, a bad fan from the factory, is there enough torque in the motor to shear the fan. turned on the unit without the fan & saw that the shaft was spinning & felt the cooling coils getting cold.
any ideas out there?

Just speculating, but most likely this would seem to be either a defective part from the get go, or it was improperly installed.

Reactions: heat seeker
Could have been a molding issue with the fan. Closely look at where the fan broke and see if anything looks funny...like an air bubble or strange line.

Good news is that Mitsubishi is a good company, and will usually be sure this is resolved to your satisfaction. I have installed several Mitsubishi mini splits on my properties, even two at my current house.

Reactions: Squirrely