broken oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I stopped by a local stove shop today. In the burn room they had a oslo that must have been returned. It was missing its glass but it had been obviously used The oslo is on my short list of stoves. I hadn't ever seen one up close. Neat looking stove. Based on what I had heard on the forum I was curious. So I immediately tested out the air control and got it stuck! Wow that would be irritating.

I was really impressed with the finish. It had the enamel finish, but it wasn't super shiny like I have seen on others enameled stoves.

If I had a few bucks, id make an offer if they tossed in the replacement glass....

The blue black enamel is different from the majolica enamel. It's tougher and more of a satin finish. I really like it. Hearthstone also has this finish available for some models. The air control on this stove sounds like it has a defective lever. Some made it out of the factory this way. Jotul has a replacement part that fixes the issue. Normally the control is quite smooth operating. If the stove shows no sign of abuse or interior warping. Offer them $1500 if they will order a new air control lever for you. The neoceram glass can be ordered from www.onedayglass.com located here in WA state.

While the specs for the transparent PYROCERAM ceramic ( the other -ceram is not the right spec) may work with the Oslo or other stoves, it is safer to order the replacement ceramic from Jotul. I don't know the cost comparison.

Rob,

I bought my stove new in Oct. "07" and the damper control lever was hard to move from the start. Had the stove shop out three times before they replaced the lever. The last time, they also sprayed some grease in the damper channel and it worked good for about two months. The lever is hard to move from 3/8 to close. Regardless of the pain in the ass lever, I love the stove and would buy another even if it still had this problem. Ours is blue/black enamel and it didn't smoke a lick when I lit the stove for the first time. More heat with less wood.

Jim

downeast said:
While the specs for the transparent PYROCERAM ceramic ( the other -ceram is not the right spec) may work with the Oslo or other stoves, it is safer to order the replacement ceramic from Jotul. I don't know the cost comparison.

Do tell exactly what the difference between Pyroceram and Neoceram is please?

rob bennett said:
I stopped by a local stove shop today. In the burn room they had a oslo that must have been returned. It was missing its glass but it had been obviously used The oslo is on my short list of stoves. I hadn't ever seen one up close. Neat looking stove. Based on what I had heard on the forum I was curious. So I immediately tested out the air control and got it stuck! Wow that would be irritating.

I was really impressed with the finish. It had the enamel finish, but it wasn't super shiny like I have seen on others enameled stoves.

If I had a few bucks, id make an offer if they tossed in the replacement glass....

did you bother to ask why the stove was returned

I can understand how lacking the original glass for a tracing could make getting an exact fit difficult. Best to ask the dealer about how long a replacement glass would take from Jotul and the cost (which is about $120). If you get neoceram replacement from oneday, note that it will be slightly thicker than the original Jotul ceramic thickness of 4mm. FWIW, a few hearth.com members have replaced their broken door glass with Neoceram and have been happy with the product. If you want the same thickness, another option would be to order Robax from http://www.robaxglass.com/prop.htm.

downeast, do you know specifically what brand of ceramic is used on the Oslo? Is it Robax or Robax IR?

AFAIK pyroceramIII and neoceram are very similar, just different manufacturer names. Neoceram is the newer product and appears to have a higher TSR (800) than pyroceram (700). Neoceram has a unique silica coating that is supposed to give it better acid resistance.

http://www.ceramicglass.co.uk/downloads/neoceram_charts_1.pdf
http://www.glassdynamicsllc.com/Pyroceram.htm
http://www.schott.com/schweiz/german/download/schott_04206_brosch_robax_e.pdf

refs:
http://www.auto-glass.com/woodstoveglass.htm

NEOCERAM® is a registered trademark of Nippon Electric Glass
BOROFLOAT®, TEMPAX®, AND ROBAX® are registered trademarks of Schott Glaswerkes.
PYREX®, PYROCERAM® AND VYCOR® are registered trademarks of Corning Glass Works.

I didn't ask why it was there, I was just swinging by,

They had a phoenix right next to it with what looked like the same satin finish. So now that I have seen it I'm hooked

I understand completely. If the Alderlea had that finish, I would have chosen it in a heartbeat.

The blue-black finish appears to me to be designed to mimic the look of painted cast iron while giving the wipe-clean qualities of porcelain. From 10 feet you would be hard pressed to tell one from the other.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.