Brrr stove not getting to temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KristaLee

Dec 8, 2014
canada
Hi, We own a Mount Vernon Pellet stove, this is it's 2nd winter season. Last year, we were able to always reached the temperature set (programed thermostat) 22 to 23 degrees. With the help of some fans to push the heat around, it would heat our whole house (2000sq feet - 2 story). This year, however the stove will only reach temperature of 19, which actually means the rest of the house is freezing, anywhere from 16 to 19! Way too cold for me! We have cleaned it out completely, we haven't changed the pellets we are using, and the repair person is coming tomorrow. But I was hoping for some help today! Brr. -26 windchill here!
My current settings are : Manual H (I just changed it about 15mins ago to this after reading other posts in the forum)
Flame height is 5
Temp differential is 1.0

thank you for any suggestions you may have until the repair person get here tomorrow.

It's possible your stove just can't keep up if it gets too cold outside. If this is indeed the case your only real options are buy a bigger stove, but a second stove or supplement with your furnace.

You said you just changed it to manual high. What did you run it on before? And with it running on manual high now, what is the height of your flame? Is it bright and active? You say you have it set on 5. Is that +5 or -5? And did you clean clear thru all of the exhaust path? This means all of the pipe and all of the stove. Take baffle off and clean fins and holes at bottom on each side? And what pellet setting do you have it on? kap

Hi, We own a Mount Vernon Pellet stove, this is it's 2nd winter season. Last year, we were able to always reached the temperature set (programed thermostat) 22 to 23 degrees. With the help of some fans to push the heat around, it would heat our whole house (2000sq feet - 2 story). This year, however the stove will only reach temperature of 19, which actually means the rest of the house is freezing, anywhere from 16 to 19! Way too cold for me! We have cleaned it out completely, we haven't changed the pellets we are using, and the repair person is coming tomorrow. But I was hoping for some help today! Brr. -26 windchill here!
My current settings are : Manual H (I just changed it about 15mins ago to this after reading other posts in the forum)
Flame height is 5
Temp differential is 1.0

thank you for any suggestions you may have until the repair person get here tomorrow.
When you say you have cleaned it out completely, did you also mean you cleaned the vent out thoroughly?

The questions re thorough cleaning are certainly the place to start. Many forget to clean the small exhaust ports under the exchanger, which is essential, along with the exchanger as noted.

Assuming all that is good, check the swing, or differential, setting of the thermostat. The MVAE (sort of assuming you have an AE) will begin to back down a bit before it reaches the actual temperature setpoint, which in effect means it never reaches it when cold outside. If you just changed it, try it on manual for a day and see how it goes. Also, 5 is pretty extreme, in my view. I would try Manual Medium or Medium High, flame height of 0 up to 2, temp differential of 1, and blower on normal instead of Quiet (the last thing I would change, btw). We don't get your cold temps, but if things were fine last year and no changes to the house or pellets, see what these changes do for you. All that said, though, I'd do little until I made sure the stove was clean and the exchanger was vacuumed and brushed. Ash is an insulater, and if it's covering the exchanger it's an issue.

Also can you tell if convection fan is running at a good speed from memory of hearing it? Sometimes the connection of the drop tube thermocouple that runs the fan can get a little rusty and not make a good connection. A little cleaning of area and washer end will fix that. kap

They have a service person coming today. May be waiting on that, or on what they have done to see results.

Status
Not open for further replies.