Brunco wood/coal furnaces...good bad ugly??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alltherage

Jan 12, 2012
chautauqua County, NY
Any opinions on these? I found what I think is a good deal. 1600 bucks and brand new. Don't know exact model. I want to put it in basement and hook into existing ductwork.

Gonna burn wood or coal?

Thinking coal but could go either way. I would like to finish off the basement some day and can't imagine storing wood inside. Don't know much about coal though

Reactions: Firemoore98
I would like to finish off the basement some day and can't imagine storing wood inside.

What's so hard to imagine? I put my whole winters wood in mine, in late fall. It's not finished, but it wouldn't stop me from finishing the non-utility area of it. Would much rather have wood down there than coal, I think - although I have no experience with coal.

WE have a 190 Brunco and have used it for 6 years. It is wonderful. WE can fill it full of wood and it will last 16hrs. WE heat a 55x75 pole barn that is insulated like a home or better. R11 on walls and R36 in roof. Very heavy built.

I don't have one, but my neighbor has heated his DRAFTY ole farm house with one since the mid eightys...(on wood BTW)

I don't know about the stove but I've burned 8 tons of coal in my outdoor boiler every winter for the past 7 years, plus working as a mill brick layer fixing coke ovens for U.S. Steel for one memorable year. Be careful with coal dust as it is explosive in quantity. Be careful with coal combustion gasses as they contain everything from benzene, to hydrogen sulfide, to chlorine. I have only ever stored my coal outside in a small barn near the boiler, and I know that everyone used to have a coal stove in the basement with loose coal on the floor, but I can't imagine the dust it would make in the house. Mine was always bituminous not anthracite, so I don't know if that would make it cleaner or or if the bagged stuff is cleaner, if that was what you were planning.

Anthracite (hard or black coal) is much cleaner in all aspects than bituminous. There is still considerable dust from handling and ash.....there is A LOT of ash and ash dust from all coal. Ash is the biggest drawback IMHO.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.