Brunco Wood Stove identification Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Outlaws Lodge

Aug 16, 2022
Washington Pennsylvania
I am looking at purchasing this for a camp with approximately 1200 Sq ft living space. I would appreciate any advice or information on this unit as the seller is elderly and unable to provide much info.
Can this unit be used as a free standing unit and not just as an insert as it appears to be? Model name? Approx date of manufacturer?... thanks in advance for any advice!

Screenshot_20220816-144908_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20220816-144900_Facebook.jpg

Generally inserts are inserts and free standing is free standing. There is no invetween.

As far as ID and info, you most likely will not find much. Looks to be one of the thousands of off brand plate steel stoves from the 80s.

A quick google found a forum where some of these units were able to burn coal. Some looked similar with legs. But if it doesn’t have a UL label affixed I wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: Outlaws Lodge
Generally inserts are inserts and free standing is free standing. There is no invetween.

As far as ID and info, you most likely will not find much. Looks to be one of the thousands of off brand plate steel stoves from the 80s.
With most stove manufacturers there is no “in-between” or cross-over type stoves. “Generally” that is the case. However there were and still are exceptions to that “general” rule that are still currently being made.

Buck Stoves …
Currently there are several models of Buck “wood stoves” that can be used as “freestanding” or as an “insert”, just by removing the legs and getting the proper factory insert trim packages sold from the factory to be used when an insert is being called for, as they have removable legs and they are designed to be both.

Hitzer …
Currently the Hitzer 983 “coal stove”, previously advertised as a “wood/coal stove” (still the exact same stove….only the way it is advertised has changed because of EPA regulations), is still offered as a “freestanding” unit or an “insert”, as it also has removable legs and they are designed to be both.

Brunco …
I believe is out of business.

The stove you are looking at to buy is a “dual fuel” stove or “coal/wood” stove as they were advertised.

Let me point out some details and differences that I am seeing of the stove you are looking at. I’ll give you a link with pictures to try and explain the differences that I am seeing.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe based on the picture in the link I will provide that the unit you’re looking at is actually a “freestanding stove” model with removable legs (legs removed) that has simply been piped into a fireplace and a trim covering was likely fabricated to make it look like an insert possibly having a liner go all the way from the stove to the chimney top. They likely chose this “freestanding” style with removable legs because they had enough room on the hearth and they he unit would also provide more heat into the room with using a blower fan to get heat into the room.

If you notice in your picture the stove is deep with a side loading door. An actual insert doesn’t have the side loading door. I will show you in a link the stove portion in front of the trim shield isn’t nearly as deep and it also does NOT have the side loading door.

Study the pictures in th link below at will better explain the stove you are looking at to buy as well as show the differences.

Here’s 20 pages of all things searched “Brunco”. Maybe you can search them and find more information. The above link and pictures came from the search link below.

Last edited:
If the unit in the picture you showed was an “insert” then it would be a much deeper unit than the insert shown in the link I provided.

I suppose that is possible but it would be far more heavy and much harder to install than the shallower insert.

That’s why after studying the pictures you posted compared to the Brunco coal/wood stoves posted in the link I gave, as well as looking at the “insert” in that link, I think your pictures represent a “freestanding” unit with removable legs.

Ok the manual says it can be used either as a freestanding stove or as a hearth heater. But it says it's a coal stove not a combo unit.

Definitely a wood burner. Is that a 24 ACD?

I have used one like in the original photos for almost 40 years. Free standing wood stove. Heats 2000 sq ft with no problems.