Buck 74 scoot out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnyburn

Nov 11, 2019
Dayton, OH
I’ve got a buck 74 insert. Currently installed flush but I’m wondering if it would improve heat output (without the fan) if I had it pulled out about 4-6 inches. The local buck stove guy says that he could probably do it but he doesn’t know if it would really improve radiant heat. Any thoughts or experience?

Is this installed in an interior or exterior wall fireplace? If exterior, the installation of an insulated block-off plate in the damper area would be most effective along with putting some kaowool or roxul insulation behind the insert.

If interior, then the heat gain will be less. Is the insert in the basement? If so, are the basement walls and joist spaces insulated? Is there a lot of glass on the walkout side?

What is the goal, to improve heat for the whole house or just the basement? How many sq ft per floor?

Sorry for the confusion. The stove in question is on the ground floor- not the basement. Primarily I want to heat the main room. (And there are some big windows.) The blower does this but I'm wondering about not using the blower. About 1500 sq ft total on ground floor.

I don't see any harm in trying to move it out, but the liner positioning may prevent this. One thing you could try is running the insert without the surround for a while and see if that helps. Is there kaowool or roxul currently stuffed up in the damper area around the liner?

Thanks for the follow ups. I don't know about kaowool or rolux, The service guy said they could add an angled connector if we moved the stove out. Is the surround mainly for visual appeal or does it serve a purpose to reduce chimney draft?

Is the surround mainly for visual appeal or does it serve a purpose to reduce chimney draft?
If you have a block-off plate (or rockwool instead, like I do) it will keep heat from rising up the chimney. The surround might be helping some in that regard if you don't have a block-off plate, but it's not ideal. Search "blockoff plate" within the forum and read a few posts to get a better idea of what they do.
Yeah, I ran a Buck 91 at my MIL's house, and in the small stove room the blower was pretty loud. I wondered if there was an aftermarket blower that would work, and not be as loud..

In a modern installation with a full chimney liner, the surround does not affect the draft at all. It's cosmetic and not necessary. A block-off plate as mentioned will help keep more heat in the room.

I would explore a really quiet blower. The no surround is an option with a block off plate but. My insert, interior chimney, really needs he blower to heat efficiently