Buck 81 Door Temps, 850 ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Washxc

Jan 9, 2013
Hey All,

I've been experimenting running my new Buck 81 (installed in December) without using the blower. The blower is loud and seems to cool down the stove fast. It's nice to take the chill off but I'd like to get away from using it if possible.

Anyways, here's my question. I've got a Condor thermometer on the stove pipe and I usually get it up to 450 or so before turning the air down. When I leave the blower off and measure the temps on the door of the stove my readings are hot, like 840-850 hot for a little bit, even with the air turned way down. The first time it happened I got nervous and turned the blower on which cranked it back down to 650 in a hurry.

Even with 850 on the door, my stove pipe temps stay a perfect 400-450. And the stove puts out enough heat to keep the whole house warm. My feeling is that this is pretty normal if you want to heat your house without a blower, but it seems like lots of forum user don't like to get the heat this high...

I called Buck and their answer was that the glass is rated up to 1400 degrees and the stove won't melt until 2200 degrees, basically saying not to worry at all.

I was just curious what other Buck stove owners think.

850 on the glass?

850 with the IR on the metal door just above the glass

I have the 81 also but as an insert and with only about 8 or 10" sticking out, rely on the fan. My condar inferno is placed about midway above the door and i don't usually get it above 650, and usually 600 holds it. Like you i will turn the fan up to moderate it somewhat if needed. The only thing i remember reading in my manual regarding over heating is when the connector and/or chimney glows red.

Status
Not open for further replies.