Buck blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BarneyDale

Nov 16, 2021
Durham, NC
I have a Buck 28000, triple wall stove. I've been using it for 15 years during which time I've replaced the wiring harness and thermostats.
For the past couple of years, when it's blowing on high, it will start to bang. After banging several times, the motor will shut off for 15 or 20 seconds until it resets and starts to work again. It basically does this all the time it's on high.
Has anyone run into this problem?

I have a Buck 27000 from 1984 that starts to chatter and squeal for about 30-45 seconds when the blower motor starts up...I believe I need to replace the entire blower assembly (on the back of the unit?) but I'm being asked by a parts supplier if it's a 1-speed or a 3-speed...I have no freakin' clue...all I know is the hotter the stove gets, the faster and louder the motor/air blows...all I have is the Model and serial #...can anyone help me finger this out?

I believe they were available with single speed and 3 speed motors and had a 3 pole switch or 3 thermostats to turn the different speeds a single speed motor should have 2 wire black and white , the 3 speed will have black red blue and white.
Thank you for the information, john26, it is much appreciated!

I believe they were available with single speed and 3 speed motors and had a 3 pole switch or 3 thermostats to turn the different speeds a single speed motor should have 2 wire black and white , the 3 speed will have black red blue and white.
Hi John26!, As Spike commented, you can get the Buck Stove Three Speed Replacement Motor (1MBS2), or you can get the new Buck Single Speed Wood Stove Blower Motor (PE-71731439) however if you do get the single-speed motor; you will also need the CPI Retro Kit. I hope this helps!

Hi John26!, As Spike commented, you can get the Buck Stove Three Speed Replacement Motor (1MBS2), or you can get the new Buck Single Speed Wood Stove Blower Motor (PE-71731439) however if you do get the single-speed motor; you will also need the CPI Retro Kit. I hope this helps!
I ordered a Buck Wiring Harness (4WHBS1) for the new 3-speed motor (for my old model 27000) back in May and it still hasn't arrived...does anyone know where one is available asap?

I ordered a Buck Wiring Harness (4WHBS1) for the new 3-speed motor (for my old model 27000) back in May and it still hasn't arrived...does anyone know where one is available asap?
Never mind, answered my own question with an online search and found the necessary part within a week...installed new motor, wiring and thermostat today and will try it all out tomorrow night.

BarneyDale, it seems no one has responded to your initial inquiry...based on my experience with my Buck 27000, I believe your fan blade may be loosening and "slipping" down the stem at high speed and banging against the interior of the stove...you may want to remove the housing and check the blades for gouge marks...just a thought in case you haven't already figured it out.

I just went through 27000 issues too. Fan only worked on high. Ordered thermostat from Servicesales.com . Installed new thermostat, still didn't work. Ordered front switch. Installed, still didn't work. Ordered new motor and harness still didn't work. Reinstalled old thermostat, now unit works. Servicesales.com sent me a bad thermostat. They have yet to return my emails to credit me.
My fan lasted 10 yrs. It also had an oil port which I oiled every year. The new fan doesn't have an oil port. It is however quieter.

Well I think last night's storm fried my 1984 Buck 27000...new motor, thermostat and wiring harness installed in October, worked fine until power went out last night with hot fire inside...heard a loud snap after about an hour of no power, then the blower motor only ran intermittently for about 30 seconds before shutting off...turned switch to MANUAL and it too konked out after about 30 seconds...now it just blows intermittently for about 30 seconds on AUTO but that's it...afraid to burn now.

Last edited: