buck stove cracked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jg268

Oct 26, 2017
dayton ohio
my 20yr old buck stove model 91has a crack inside. The crack does not appear to go all the way through the stove. I am looking a Pacific Energy Summit. How do the two compare? I assume the insert is not salvageable?

upload_2017-10-26_14-53-25.png IMG_1750.JPG

I'm not familiar with the Buck stove, but if it's steel, I don't see why it couldn't be welded? $150 weld vs $2500 stove?

What area are we looking at? Where is the crack?

What area are we looking at? Where is the crack?

Why do people take the time to join, ask a question, and then disappear? Why waste people's time?

Why do people take the time to join, ask a question, and then disappear? Why waste people's time?
For some people, they want that instant gratification or an answer right away, who knows, perhaps this member is very busy working 2 jobs with 4 small kids at home, it shouldn't matter for us, this site is here to help people.

Reactions: iceman2424
I would be inclined to wire brush the area, and then use my finger to force refractory cement into the crack. Then after a day, put another thin coating on the crack and smooth it with a damp sponge. Wait 24hrs then do a smallish fire to cure it. I suspect it would last for years.