Buck Stove Insert Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danielolver

Jan 12, 2020
Louisville, KY
Hello all, new to the forum so I’m not sure where this post best belongs. For now I figured I’d post it here. I picked up an old buck stove for a couple hundred bucks, and I am unsure of what model it is. The number on the back is a hand written “31000” over what appears to be either 28000 or 26000. That number is very difficult to read, but I’m sure the first digit is 2, followed by either a 6 or an 8. So I would assume it is either a 26 or 28000 from that. Just confused about the hand written number “31000”, that is written on the back twice. Just want to see if anyone has some info they can share. From what I understand the 26,27, and 28000 have double doors on the front. Mine has one door, and no sign of there ever being two doors. Only has slots for hinges on the one side. First concern for installation that I have is locating a stack to mate to a chimney liner, and if said liner needs to be 8 inches like back of stove says or if 6 inch would suffice. Second concern is finding a replacement glass. There is a large crack in the glass currently. I also read on the forum that the refractory cement in the base should be removed if burning wood. Wanted to double check that as well.

441A6612-4F14-4001-87C9-290E048DC840.jpeg 4643C7DE-E39D-4ECB-94B2-85FC9BC51988.jpeg

The liner needs to match the volume of the stove outlet. Probably 8"

Buck Stove parts list this as the Carolina II, model 31000.

The liner needs to match the volume of the stove outlet. Probably 8"
Question for you. Stove came with a cast iron oval adapter and an oval stainless liner section. The liner is 10.5”x5.5”. The oval liner will pass through the existing cast iron damper assembly in my fireplace, but a round 8 inch chimney liner will not. Is there an adapter of sorts that could connect the oval liner to a round 8 inch liner? That way I could attach the oval to the round liner, insulate it, run it down the chimney, through the existing damper, and connect it to the stove.

Attachments

• 26CD98D1-96BF-406B-885C-B7C15CAEB7B0.jpeg
    26CD98D1-96BF-406B-885C-B7C15CAEB7B0.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 262
Question for you. Stove came with a cast iron oval adapter and an oval stainless liner section. The liner is 10.5”x5.5”. The oval liner will pass through the existing cast iron damper assembly in my fireplace, but a round 8 inch chimney liner will not. Is there an adapter of sorts that could connect the oval liner to a round 8 inch liner? That way I could attach the oval to the round liner, insulate it, run it down the chimney, through the existing damper, and connect it to the stove.
You just ovalize the 8" liner

The bottom refractory liner stays in. Burn on an inch of ash when removing ash.
There are side and back angled refractory liners for coal that makes a hopper shape. They are not required for wood.

Woodmans's Parts Plus makes glass in the size and shape you need.

A little Brasso will make that look brand new. Nothing abrasive on the door, only metal polish.

The bottom refractory liner stays in. Burn on an inch of ash when removing ash.
There are side and back angled refractory liners for coal that makes a hopper shape. They are not required for wood.

Woodmans's Parts Plus makes glass in the size and shape you need.

A little Brasso will make that look brand new. Nothing abrasive on the door, only metal polish.
Thank you!