Buck Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trey g

Nov 3, 2019
Georgia
I’m currently in the market for a insert. I have some friends that have Buck stoves and they love them. I’m looking at the 74 or possibly 91.

I haven’t seen much discussion lately on the Buck Stoves. Are they still a good stove?

We don't see as many Buck stoves here but in a way that could be a good thing. A lot of people come to the forum because they are having problems. The 74 is a time-proven workhorse. Woody ran a 91 and loved it.

I have a freestanding 74 and i love it. It is built like a tank and is a no frills easy operating stove. It isnt too fussy. I heat my house easily with it.....1500 sq ft open concept. Im not experienced with inserts...ive never had one but as a freestander it could for sure heat more in my set up. New buck has great customer service in my experience an service is as important as the product to me. Buck just doesnt have the dealer network like other stove brands for whatever reason....maybe why they arent as much talked about? They are pretty simple construction and as far as i can tell not a whole lot can go wrong with it. Short story imo buck still makes a great reliable stove.

Woody ran a 91 and loved it.
Yer durned tootin', sure as shootin', I had a real fondness for that tank of a stove. ==c I still haven't given up the dream of getting it back into my sphere of influence. It's still sitting in my MIL's old house, and I'd like to see it down the block at my wife's cousin's where he's still running an old Esquire smoke-blower stove from the last century. If only I can get him to let loose of a dollah. ;lol
1/4" plate-steel box with good engineering and build quality. I had a little trouble controlling the burn but eventually figured out that it's an easy fix to tweak the air controls to keep the cat from approaching the 1800* danger zone. And you need to make sure the ash pan gasket is sealing tightly.
Bypass door is a 1/4" flat steel plate that slides across the bypass opening..no gasket to be concerned with. Good door latch mechanism. Ash handling is not as good as the grate in the floor of the Woodstocks, but has a flip-up hinged lid and an opening a bit over 3"x5", so it was pretty easy to use. Ash pan wasn't huge, though. The blower was a bit loud, but tolerable on low, even in the small stove room it was in. Luckily, that small room had two doorways, because that stove tossed big heat.
I also like the primary air controls, airwash/upper air channel on the right slider, boost/doghouse air on the left slider that they call "shotgun air." You gotta love the manliness of that! ;)
The cat is pricier than the Woodstocks, at about $300. Burning 24/7 they will last several years.
They claim the box is 4.4 cu.ft. but they must have measured it before they put in the cat and its heat shield. I measured usable volume at about 3 cu.ft. The 74 might be closer to what they claim, I don't know. The newer model 91 I saw at the stove shop recently, they have replaced the plate-steel air control plates with sheet metal, but that wouldn't concern me at all.
Based on what I know from the 91, Buck is a quality stove and I wouldn't hesitate to check their other models.
Buy local, BuckStove is right up the road from you in Spruce Pine, NC. >>
If you can describe your room layout and sq.ft. to be heated, and your level of insulation and air-sealing, folks here can help you size the stove. Where in GA are you?

Thanks for the responses!

I’m just outside Athens Ga

The 91 might be a little much for my space but it’s still in consideration. I was a little hesitant to consider the CAT but after researching and learning about them, the efficiency helped sell me to keep looking at them.

I have some local dealers near me and they all carry Buck but they have been trying to sway me and I was just curious why. Possibly the profit margin on the other brands.

I hadn’t heard bad things about them but figured I’d ask here. I’ve been researching this site since I’ve gotten serious about purchasing a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk