Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener - #1 Ranked on Amazon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
I'm looking for legit reviews on this sharpener. Does anyone own and use it? I can respect people that file by hand and use a timberline or another manual sharpener. I know Oregon has the best of the best with their $350 electric sharpener, out of my budget. So anyone out here use the

Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N4L2...TF8&colid=3VV9YE0MYBI93&coliid=I24L11XGF01NXK

I've got one the same as that and it is not my personal choice unless I have damaged a chain very badly. They do a great job of making a nice consistent sharp edge but the problem is that the edge becomes a wedge, not a curved hook like it's supposed to be. My personal favorite is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Timber-Tuff-CS-12V-Portable-Sharpener/dp/B001MWS9U8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1430832914&sr=1-2&keywords=chainsaw sharpener

It replicates the same edge as a manual file but without the work. I put a drop or two of oil on the grinder and find it cuts smoother. If you use it to lightly sharpen after each tank fill-up (or two if lighter wood), then your chain will stay very sharp. You do not need to grind the chain, just touch it up. Since I have the tractor or vehicle near me whenever I'm cutting to haul the wood, hooking up to the battery for 2 min is very easy. The guide will help you make sure you are keeping the correct angle.

I'm sure others will give their opinion as it's been discussed here 'Ad nauseam'. I own an electric sharpener like you posted on the link, two manual file systems and the portable sharpener I linked to. I like it best.

Edit: the other huge advantage for me is that the electric grinder you posted requires you to remove the chain from the saw and you won't have 120v in the bush, so you'll need lots of extra chains. That means too much time removing and re-installing chains. The portable one is done with the chain on the saw and is a fast as a manual file, just easier if you have problems filing.

Be careful using high-speed grinders. The problem is when you try to fix a damaged chain. Grind too much material will heat up the cutter edge, it will get a blue color and the hardening is gone. So is the future of a sharp chain. To be safe, use a liquid coolant over the tooth and grinding wheel when sharpening...

I have the exact duplicate of that machine called "Nick the Grinder". It works. If you are the type that will set it up properly it will work even a little bit better. There is no illusion that this is anything but a low grade grinder, but it does work. I have had mine for 5 or 6 years now. The key is to adjust it so that it "dresses" the cutting edge, not grind a new one.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'm kind of leaning towards the timberline right now. thanks very much for all the input and I may revisit the grinder in the future.

Reactions: akkamaan
Status
Not open for further replies.