Build up on top off wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DSSH

May 19, 2022
Maine
This is a wood stove in a home I am overseeing for the owners. Hoping someone can answer what this whiteish, gray substance on top surface of wood stove it? It is a very hard substance that does not come off easily. Also I believe the chimney pipe in installed incorrectly (upside down and unsealed) and hoping someone can offer advice. Thank you for your assistance.

IMG_8532.JPEG INCORRECTLY INSTALLED STOVE PIPE (1).JPEG

This is a wood stove in a home I am overseeing for the owners. Hoping someone can answer what this whiteish, gray substance on top surface of wood stove it? It is a very hard substance that does not come off easily. Also I believe the chimney pipe in installed incorrectly (upside down and unsealed) and hoping someone can offer advice. Thank you for your assistance.

View attachment 295577 View attachment 295578
That is double wall pipe it is right side up. That looks like grayed paint from very high temps. What temps are you running at?

That is double wall pipe it is right side up. That looks like grayed paint from very high temps. What temps are you running at?
Thank you! Not sure about temperatures but relieved to know stove pipe installed correctly.

Thank you! Not sure about temperatures but relieved to know stove pipe installed correctly.
You need to get a probe thermometer for the pipe so you know if you are running too hot or too cool etc.