Building a chase questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is long over due, I have the chimney done just have to get the cap made and clean up the door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: ScotO
Forgot to mention once the cap is made I will have just about 2k in the whole build plus a boat load of time!

Wow! Beautiful.

Very nice, indeed. Rick

Reactions: Michael Golden
Looks real nice! What kind of cover are you going to use? I think that beauty is worthy of nothing but Stainless Steel! You can get SS covers powder coated any color you want from places like Olympic or National Chimney Supply. You local Hearth store should have access to 'em. Or, just plain SS would look great! Thats my favorite color!

Looks real nice! What kind of cover are you going to use? I think that beauty is worthy of nothing but Stainless Steel! You can get SS covers powder coated any color you want from places like Olympic or National Chimney Supply. You local Hearth store should have access to 'em. Or, just plain SS would look great! Thats my favorite color!
That's what I used, but boy oh boy....I sure wish I could have afforded a copper one. A local fabrication shop did the job for me (out of stainless) and I couldn't be happier with the job. All TIG-welded together, it'll outlive the rest of the house.....

Reactions: webby3650
Honestly I'm not even sure where to get one made! There is a Amish guy out the road that does a lot of chimney work and I thought about having him make something. Right now I'm just taking it in, but I need to get that cap done ASAP because I know burning weather will be here before I know it!

Copper would be awesome, but with stainless sticking out the top may look weird?

Honestly I'm not even sure where to get one made! There is a Amish guy out the road that does a lot of chimney work and I thought about having him make something. Right now I'm just taking it in, but I need to get that cap done ASAP because I know burning weather will be here before I know it!
Check around for metal fabrication shops. If you aren't sure where to start looking, contact some local roofers. They get flashing made all of the time from metal fab shops and such. Things like step flashing, specialty flashing, chimney crickets, etc.....HVAC contractors also may be able to make you one. Make sure you require that they weld or solder the stainless together to guarantee it never leaks.....

Reactions: Michael Golden
It's gonna be a big cap, the chimney is approx. 5' wide 2' deep and 20' tall.

5' wide 2' deep
Thats not a big cap! ;lol Thats actually a pretty common size cap. Most sweeps and hearth shops can get them at a pretty reasonable price. I'm not sure what a fab shop charges, but you can likely get a SS one from National Chimney for around $400. It'll have the hole in it and be cross broke.

Here is my cap, it only cost $45 dollars! ;lol
It's 6'x3'.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 134
Here is my cap, it only cost $45 dollars! ;lol
It's 6'x3'.
I ain't gonna tell you what mine cost........:(
But, it's heavier guage stainless, all TIG-welded, and like I said it'll last a lifetime. The storm collar extension and two storm collars were included in the fabrication as well. In the end, it was done right and I was happy paying the price. They did it in a hurry for me too (put me ahead of some other jobs because I wanted to get the install done over a couple of sunny days we had last fall). That fab shop does some nice work.

My two flue chimney ain't near as big as you guys' but the crown is going to crap and I want to cap it with stainless. The problem I have is that one inch space between the tile flues sticking up thorough it. Guess I get it made to go around them and then silicone the crap out of the space between'em. I just cannot get into the crownseal thing. Especially with that large sheet of 304 stainless I have laying around.

And the fact that these old legs don't like roofs and ladders so much anymore.

WOW! That came out great!

Very nice work.

Do you have any progress pics and of the final way you decided to support it?

My two flue chimney ain't near as big as you guys' but the crown is going to crap and I want to cap it with stainless. The problem I have is that one inch space between the tile flues sticking up thorough it. Guess I get it made to go around them and then silicone the crap out of the space between'em. I just cannot get into the crownseal thing. Especially with that large sheet of 304 stainless I have laying around.

And the fact that these old legs don't like roofs and ladders so much anymore.

Not to mention, a SS cover is not much more $ than a big bucket of Crown Coat.
Caulking between the flues will work, I've done it. I didn't prefer it, but there is really no other option in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.