Building A New Fireplace - Cement Board or Mesh & Scratch Coat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tsingerjr

Feb 7, 2022
PA
I ordered veneer field stone and have my fireplace all framed out for my propane stove. Do i attach cement board directly to the framing and butter the board and the stone? Or Do I attach plywood to the framing, tar paper, wire, scratch coat and attach the stone? Also, what type of mortar should I use? The stone place where I purchased them form basically said, you can do it a number of ways. My wife is growing increasingly impatient ;-) . I've attached a photo.

Thanks,
Tommy

fireplace.png

I ordered veneer field stone and have my fireplace all framed out for my propane stove. Do i attach cement board directly to the framing and butter the board and the stone? Or Do I attach plywood to the framing, tar paper, wire, scratch coat and attach the stone? Also, what type of mortar should I use? The stone place where I purchased them form basically said, you can do it a number of ways. My wife is growing increasingly impatient ;-) . I've attached a photo.

Thanks,
Tommy

View attachment 291790
I do cement board and wire. Type s mortar with lots of acrylic additive