Building a new Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoosterBoy

Jul 5, 2006
CT
hay guys i have a (6.5hp BS) lawnmower engine that's like new runs great i want to use it to build a splitter i was hope to have at least a 25ton splitter or more. i was looking a northentool and was wonder if someone can help me pick out what i need pump size 16gpm
tank size not sure and ram not sure also control valve. filter and hose and fittings i can get but can someone help me pick out the right ram size i want to be able to split 20 to 24 inch long logs and have enough power to add a 4way split. any help would be great

thank you
Jason

This might help:

http://www.arboristsite.com/search.php?searchid=688149

Here's another:

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/...2e5e4a4dc0e446e906226e9c35b4d9&action=search2

I've read that a 4 inch ram is ideal, with a 20 inch stroke. You will need a hunk of "I" beam, all though I saw a nice homemade one in this forum where the guy used a large steel tube. The tube was the resevior for the oil. Very nice set up. Here is the link:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/2855/

Also, look in ebay for your pump, you can get some good deals there if you know what your looking for. KD

Like a lot of good ideas, God don't ask how I know, building a splitter can usually end up only costing fifty of sixty percent more than just going ahead and buying one.

your lawn mower engine makes a lot of difference between a verticle or horrizontal shaft and the connection to the pump an 11 gal per minute pump can handle up to 25 tons the cheaper prince detent valves are also good up to 25 tones.
Hydro pistons 3" about 12 tons 3.5" 16 tons 4" 20 tons and 4.5 25+ tons Hydro tank two pluss gallons or more. Plus matching the hydro hose fittings to the pump resivour and detent valve. also needed is decent welding skils or you will be paying someone Decent I beam 42" to 4' to mount the splitting wedge and hydro piston ram

You might have some trouble getting 25 tons out of a 6.5hp engine with any type of reasonable cycle time.

Check around and run some hydraulic equations, but basically:

Most hydro equipment is going to redline around 3000 psi. The standard "prince" logsplitter valve has a pop-off set at 2250, but can go up to 2750. Say you split the difference (to be somewhat easy on the equipment and easy math) at 2500 psi.

Now to get your 25 tons (50,000 pounds) force @ 2500psi, you need a 20 square inch area for the fluid to push on. That equates to a 5" diameter cylinder. If you want to split 24" long logs, you want at least a 24" travel cylinder. 5" diameter x 24" long is 480 cubic inches or 2 gallons of fluid that you have to move.

The typical "haldex" log splitter pumps "reccommend" a minimum 5 hp for the 11 GPM pump and a minimum 8 hp for the 16 gpm. Both of these are two stage pumps (think of changing gears in a transmission) so at true splitting pressure, they are flowing 2.9 and 3.5 gpm respectively.

Summing it all up, with your splitter "freewheeling" with no force, the 'down' cycle time would range from 11 seconds @ 11 gpm to 7.5 seconds @ 16 gpm. Under load that may grow to 41 seconds @ 11 or 34 seconds @ 16gpm (that is if your engine can keep up and doesn't start to loose RPM. The up cycle times will be less because some of the fluid volume is filled by the ram (get the thickest ram you can to minimize the time)

If you get into tough splitting wood, I wouldn't expect to spit out any more than one log every minute or so with the 6.5 engine.

Corey

Jason,

Saw a used one for sale last week up this way just outside of Middlebury..It was a homemade, Looked rugged as can be and had some good features, big cylinder, 15 inch wheels, work table etc..if interested let me know will be by there either tomorrow or friday, if still their will take down info..

Rooster unless you have more time and money than you know what to do with, or really really want something different than what you can reasonably buy (timberwolf etc). Don't even waste you're time trying!!! Get a Northern tools cataloge and visit some of the hydraulic websites to price componts. Good used motors are easy to find, but the cylinder, pump and control valve will set you back around $500-$600 easy. Oh, have you priced steel recently? The beam will cot anywhere from $50-$100, then an axle etc. etc.......... Watch the local papers, check e-bay put the word out to freinds. My dad came across a Husky, one year old for $350, 27 ton.
Not trying to be mean at all, but unless you really want something specific from it, just go buy one!!

oh i agree with you i looked into the cost of all that and it's just best to find a used one to save some money :) i have to much wood and need a splitter real bad :) local rental wants $80 to $100 a day to rent one. the other problem is i don't have thousands to put into one

thanks
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.