Building Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blwells45

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks to Mike (stoveguy2esw) from Englander and armed with the measurements he sent me, I headed out tonight to buy the materials to build my hearth pad. I didn't think that making a decision would be easy, but, I didn't think it would be this hard either. I was pretty sure I wanted to use slate because its rustic and because my wife's decor is primitive country.

Anyhow, I purchased the following slate and border. And, so tomorrow I begin the build. I'll update this thread with my progress. Stove is supposed to arrive either Monday or Tuesday from AMFMEnergy.

stone_copy.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Nice lookin slate, It's gonna make for a beautiful hearth pad. Keep us posted.

Hello

Looks good, so tells us what stove did you order?

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to the drawing Mike sent me with the dimensions for a hearth pad for a corner install of the 55-TRP22 or 25-PDV from Englander.

Nice colors. Looking forward to install pics.

I bought a CPM from AMFM. Mike and Andy couldn't have been more helpful! Both great guys.

Here is a piccy of what we did.
Large tile over the deck
Also some other pix

The sky is the limit as to what you can do

HAVE FUN

Snowy

Attachments

• Hearth with grout done.JPG
    Hearth with grout done.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 477
  • Finished rock.JPG
    Finished rock.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 483
  • Mantel with horsie brackets.JPG
    Mantel with horsie brackets.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 474
  • Finished project.JPG
    Finished project.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 486
Reactions: ScotO and h2ochild
OH
Just an FYI, the stone look on the wall is all "faux painted"
A base coat to give the grout lines then the stones were painted using little sponges and dabbing the color on.
The distressed look was done using slight swipes with the lighter colors.

Faux paint is cheap, quick and looks great.

Doing stone was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ prohibitive, even the plastic stone lookalike was big $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Snowy

Here is what was in that corner

Attachments

• what was.JPG
    what was.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 267
A couple more close up shots

Attachments

• Stove in1.JPG
    Stove in1.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 335
  • stove in2.JPG
    stove in2.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 289
The beauty of this entire project was the cost.
$200 for the stove, with the tile coming from a habitat for humanity store for $30
Wood from the Depot
Stove vent was new

Total was less than $1000 completed and a fire burning.
Creativity can be a lot of fun

OH the horse shoes for the mantle brackets came from our own critters, just cleaned them and welded them to the L brackets

Loads of fun

Snowy

Backer board has been adhered to the plywood base. Allowing that to dry for 24 hours and then tomorrow afternoon, my dad is coming to help me lay the slate.

Should work sweet.

I totally LOVE that slate and border. That's a fine choice in material, and will make a great looking hearth. I'd think about doing a dry stack ledgestone to contrast and compliment that tile for the wall/walls behind the stove if it were me. Keep us posted with pics!

So, here's the pad with the slate laid. Gotta trim it out and then grout it. Trim tomorrow night. Grouting it on Wednesday. Also, should be picking up the stove either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hearth_Pad.jpg

Very, very nice! That slate compliments the hardwood floor nicely. Looking forward to seeing that stove on the hearth!

nice job

really,really nice.....i used that same color slate for my hearth, except i went with 6 inch tiles instead of the 12

Yessssssssss indeed, great job.

Ya might give thought to doing a wall treatment to make the corner look like stone/brick ???

Stove arrived today. Wednesday, my dad's coming back to help me finish up the hearth. Hopefully, I'll have the stove in place this weekend. Photos to come!!

Reactions: smoke show
Here is the basic finished project. Still needs to be sealed. Hope to have the stove in place this weekend.
hearth.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.