building my own pellet stove hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ljSouther

Nov 26, 2005
Hi everyone, I am building a hearth for my pellet stove. I was considering using ceramic tiles for surface that the stove sits on but thought maybe I might use a sheet of copper. I will shape it to a wood frame, tuck over sides and secure with brass nails. Do you think the copper will work as a surface to rest the stove on?? It's an Englander pellet stove that sits on a pedestal. Also should I use something like a sheet of 5/8 firex under the copper?

As far as physically "working" I don't know why it wouldn't...provided you have the proper fireproof materials / required insulation under the copper. The copper should definitely pass as non-combustible.

As far as asthetically...definitely don't plan on it staying bright and shiny. I would expect that the constant contact with pieces of firewood, ashes, heat and just general exposure to the atmosphere would eventually give it a patina similar to an old, dull copper penny. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, just be aware of what the end result will be.

Corey

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Any suggestions for the proper fireproof materials under the copper?

Read your mannual on what the manf. lists as an approved surface for setting the stove on. If it doesn't show that info contact them through the web or their 800#.

On a related note, I just built a hearth for my pedastool wood stove and used ceramic tile over a 5 x 5 frame of 2 x 6's. Frame was sheeted with 3/4 inch osb and then 1/2 inch durock and then the ceramic tile. I would suggest the same for you as you will inevitabely be walking on it for some reason. The durock gives it added heat transfer protection. But like I said, see what the manf. suggests.

I built mine for our woodstove myself
Bought a sheet of micore 300 as the insulation barrier
Bottom layer is plywood followed by micore300 then durock then porcelin tile
What I built would be approved for most any woodstove let alone a pellet stove
PS I have a spare sheet of micore300

Attachments

• hearth pad.jpg
    hearth pad.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,928
Copper is pretty soft. I think its going to get scratched up easily. Putting the stove in place is going to be hard since it will have to be lowered down straight to avoid scratching or denting the soft copper. Probably better just to use the old tried and true sheet of cement board with ceramic tile on top. Simple, cheap and about impervious to damage of any reasonable sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.