Bulk Pellet Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
This weekend I was able to buy 200 pounds of the bulk pellets I am looking to use next year.

I emptied the hopper of the premium pellets and filled it up with the commercial grade pellets, fines and all, and let it run. It was a bit of a chance since the overnight lows at my house Saturday and Sunday night were -21 and -20 respectively.

The PB had no problem burning the pellets and it had no problem holding temp. Of course this won't tell me if I'll have to do more frequent cleaning or if I will use more fuel compared to the premium pellets, but it's looking good.

Testing on a cold night is an excellent idea Andrew -- Bravo for having the stones to do it! After all; when do you MOST need the appliance to perform on the fuel your feeding it? If it worked last weekend, you can adjust for the warmer part of the season.

How much can you save in bulk? did you figure your transportation and moving cost - or cost of delivery and storage? -- for me by the time I figure time and fuel to go get it -- So far its less expensive to buy skids of bagged material here! -- still hoping for new sources to sprout!

Sting,

I talked with the guy I bought my pellets from last year and he is asking $299 P/Ton, plus $100 for delivery. I can get the bulk pellets delivered to my house for $199 P/Ton and that includes blowing it into my bin. I designed the basement for just this possibility.

I figure about $200 to build the bin and I'm good to go! This year I should save about $800 bucks over the current price and $300 over last years price.

200 delivered into your bin

SWEET!

Status
Not open for further replies.