Bulk pellets in Albany area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceguy4

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
Bags are a PITA (pain in the a$$) How many members would be interested in bulk pellets around me? I can purchase a quality pellet for $50 less in 1 ton bags...pick them high enough with a backhoe to fill a building ...but would prefer a delivery. just tired of bags...:confused:

Not sure where you are ICE but I would if the village I live in would allow me to have a "silo" in my back yard.

I thought about that too, i was thinking coal before i bought the pellet stove, with a coal crib in in basement, thinking about the same with pellets.

I thought about that too, i was thinking coal before i bought the pellet stove, with a coal crib in in basement, thinking about the same with pellets.

I'm not in the Albany area, but I thought of this to avoid lifting bags of pellets also. My brother had a coal stove decades ago and he built a 4 ton coal crib. I am sure that I could build a Pellet crib to hold two ton.

Bill

One of the draw backs of bulk is your limited to the brand(selection) they carry in bulk. Not all mills have the means to sell in bulk. So not a lot of choices available. And there isn't much savings AFAIK. Plus either way unless you have an auto delivery system to the pellet burning appliance, You'll need to fill a bucket/pail and dump it in the hopper. Not much difference than dumping in a bag IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.