Bullard eagle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billfish81

Jan 19, 2014
Nj
I just bought a bullard eagle stove And had it professionally installed. I noticed that there was a significant amount of airflow going through it with the vents shut. I found the problem to be a buildup in the door seals which I cleaned out with a scraper and dremel which helped. I still notice air flow going through though not as much but was wondering if these stoves had a gasket on them which would solve this ? Thanks

There is not normally an ash build up on the door seal, perhaps it leaks so bad that the previous operator ran it with vents closed and it has the same build up as on the inside?
What color was the substance? Many stoves that didn't require gasket material (steel door seal) were not 100% "air-tight" so the owners added gasket material. If you can insert a piece of cardboard in the door seal where a gasket would go, and the door closes properly, there is enough room for a flat type gasket. Flat is usually used for glass installation, and is thinner than round. Cement it into place with gasket or Rutland stove and gasket cement. When replacing gasket material, all the old cement needs to be removed to keep gasket material as thin as possible. The material you removed could have been from a prior gasket cemented in place. Cured cement sometimes requires a wire wheel to remove.
It should not continue to burn long when you close the door and close air intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.