Bumbing uglies, i mean burning uglies and bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2009
west mass
out of logs to cut, need to get 3 more cords asap.. sitting on about 7 total next winters and the winter afters, any logs now will be 3 winters out :)

do you guys burn the uglies, rottens, bug infested and bark? i seem to enjoy splitting a piece and sending the carpenter ants to their doom
466233_571075216260358_744443053_o.jpg

20" bar on on the 290 and sharp chain makes quick work of the oak
905291_571075309593682_1577080584_o.jpg

stacking time, or beer thirty ;)

title was suppose to read 'bumping' lol

Nice stacks , piles & over flowing wood shed ! :)
Time for an addition to the shed?

I burn the splitter droppings & bark.

When stacking to the wood shed, I cull some uglies, punky & stuff that don't stack well & pile it up
by the fire pit.
Some gets burned in the stove for shoulder wood, some in the fire pit.

Chunks, punks and uglies . . . deserve love too.

They go on top of my drying stacks or in between . . . then get used in the shoulder season or for camp fires . . . saving my primo stuff for when I really need the heat.

BTUs is BTUs . . . regardless of size, shape or condition . . . well as long as it is dried.

I try to burn only clean wood in the house. Shape does not matter but I don't burn punked or rotten wood inside. I will burn that junk in my pit fire to help drive off mosquitoes. It's often windy here so I have to be careful when we burn outside. It would be embarrassing if the captain of local fire co burns his own house down!

Uglies usually get thrown on top of the stacks to hold down the covering. They get burned in spring or fall. A little bit of punk is okay. If bark is loose we throw that out otherwise pay no attention to it. Rotten? Leave in the woods.

Ain't too much around my place that doesn't make it into the woodstove. Punky, crooked, chunk, heck, I burn little stuff too, you name it, it goes in a big ole barrel, or a crate, or a 5 gallon bucket. I burn it all.

I throw all my uglies on a crate and burn them in the fall. Never burned the punky stuff inside. Suppose I could, just seems messy.

It just depends on how ugly it is. If just a little ugly it goes on top to finish a row if really ugly it gets stacked for the firepit. A little punk I am ok with and rotten I don't bring it home.

Reactions: jdp1152
Been burning bark ,and crap, from winter splitting for three days .uglies, chunks go in the stove

As far as uglies go - if it fits - it burns. Beyond that it goes in the "firepit" pile. When I am splitting and stacking I typically have a fire going in a low spot in the yard that I keep going for days cleaning up the junk branches and some splitter trash. After the snow melts I haul all the splitter junk in the wheel barrow to low spots in my trails to make dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.