Bummed/Limits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckr74

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
I hit my limits today, kind of bummed about it. I have all week off so I've been energetic about getting some things done around the house. It was a nice day in the 50's so I thought I might go check the chimney cap and clean if necessary. I clean from the bottom up with a SootEater and haven't checked the cap for a long time. So I get the ladder out and climb on the lower part above the garage and go to the ridge and that's where the fun ended. I climbed on the second part of the roof to get to the ridge but the gravel on the shingles was so loose I just slid. No traction what so ever. Scared the crap out of me. I crawled back down to the lower part and got off the roof. The roof is 8/12 pitch, two story about 30 off the ground. The shingles on the roof aren't that old maybe 6 years but the gravel sure is loose. Any way that's my story.

with the pitch of my roof on some places I don't even go over there, Ill hire someone to do work up there. Ill work on the front of the house and over the garage, but other than that, nope. Glad it didn't end bad

I'm surprised. Typically, the steeper the pitch the longer the roof lasts and the less problem you have with the asphalt granules coming loose. Maybe it's just your roof shedding the excess granules?

What's the ventilation in the attic area like? Sometimes if the ventilation isn't sufficient, shingles will literally cook during high temperature months causing the shingles to degrade and shed the granules. I'm a painter, so I have to climb around on shingles quite a bit during exterior season. I bought a pair of ladder hooks to install on half of an extension ladder this year. Wish I'd done so many years ago. Getting too old to tempt death.

Attach them to ladder, roll ladder up roof, flip it so it hooks over ridge. Done.

ladder%20hooks_zpsjn77soyn.gif

Reactions: Blazing
What's the ventilation in the attic area like? Sometimes if the ventilation isn't sufficient, shingles will literally cook during high temperature months causing the shingles to degrade and shed the granules. I'm a painter, so I have to climb around on shingles quite a bit during exterior season. I bought a pair of ladder hooks to install on half of an extension ladder this year. Wish I'd done so many years ago. Getting too old to tempt death.

Attach them to ladder, roll ladder up roof, flip it so it hooks over ridge. Done.

View attachment 191405
Yes improper ventilation will cause the shingles to heat soak and void your warranty. A company tech once told me, the roof could lose half it's usable life if the attic or sheathing below the shingles is not properly ventilated.

Wish I'd done so many years ago. Getting too old to tempt death.

I've got bad news... old age is death's primary temptation... his meat and potatoes.. all the stupid dangerous stuff you do when you are young pale in comparison to age so far as death is concerned

But...I like the hook

G

Wish I'd done so many years ago. Getting too old to tempt death.

I've got bad news... old age is death's primary temptation... his meat and potatoes.. all the stupid dangerous stuff you do when you are young pale in comparison to age so far as death is concerned

But...I like the hook

G

I'm not sure if I'm grabbing a dog by the ears by saying this, I'm a little skeptical about the single wheel. Riding two wheels is difficult on The roadway let alone a single wheel on the 12/12 pitch... ha, ha! ( maybe that was funnier in my head).

20161228_141513.jpg 20161228_141513.jpg 20161228_141609.jpg
Here's some pictures to give a better description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get yourself a pair of Cougar Paws Roofing Boots, they have twice the traction and replaceable soles, not that a DIY would wear them out. They are not inexpensive, but are less than a trip to the hospital.

Back in the early 80's I worked with a carpenter building houses and have been on few roofs myself. I've never encountered loose gravel like this. I think the spikes would work but it might damage the roof. Maybe real short spikes. So close yet so far away. There's a roofing guy down the road, maybe I can bribe him to take a look.

What grade shingles are on the roof? Is it a 10, 15, or 50 year shingle? At six years Your shingles could be halfway through their expected lifespan.

I'm not sure if I'm grabbing a dog by the ears by saying this, I'm a little skeptical about the single wheel. Riding two wheels is difficult on The roadway let alone a single wheel on the 12/12 pitch... ha, ha! ( maybe that was funnier in my head).
Yes we took the wheels like that off of all of our ridge hooks we had the ladder roll down the roof on that swiveling wheel to many times. We now have a fixed rubber caster bolted to the side of our ridge ladders it works well. But you really need to have dedicated ridge ladders if you are going to do that

Get yourself a pair of Cougar Paws Roofing Boots, they have twice the traction and replaceable soles, not that a DIY would wear them out. They are not inexpensive, but are less than a trip to the hospital.
They dont help much with loose grit though. I had a pair and they were good but I didn't find them that much better to justify the added cost. I am just very picky about the tread pattern and compound and I do fine with regular boots.

I've been a maintenance mechanic for many years so any repairs on the property are done by me. I'm 60 now so I guess I need to step back a little and let younger generation do some of this stuff. Got to know your limits!

8/12 is not a bad pitch. But, if you are not comfy walking it, don't. You have a pretty nice set up there, but again, if you ain't comfy walling it, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.