Burn Pot Top Ring? Cap? Napoleon NPI40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rockstarroar

Jan 2, 2013
I've got a ring or cap on top of my napoleon burn pot. I've been running the stove for years with it, but was looking at parts recently and noticed that the replacement burn pots don't seem to have it. Upon further searching I can't seem to find any video, image, or mention of the part.

Even looking at burn pots from other manufacturers, I cant seem to find any that aren't wide open on the top, regardless of shape.

I'm sort of curious if it possibly is making the stove put out less heat by narrowing and centering the output of the flame by probably half. I assume without it, it would heat the outer most heat exchanges more, and also possibly have more air for combustion.

I'll probably try running it without it and see if I notice a difference, but just wondering if anyone might have some info or thoughts on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 134
"The pellet heater can be operated with or without the ring in place over the burn pot. With the ring in place, a more efficient burn will occur, however more finer fly ash will be experienced. It may be necessary to clean the burn pot of ash more frequently" From your stoves manual.

Reactions: rockstarroar
Thanks Bob! Didn't see that in the manual, apparently didn't look hard enough, or maybe its not in there because I only have a online version of the manual and according to that post #17 they discontinued making it because of issues. I'll actually be pretty happy if won't have to clean out the pot as often, definitely something that I've found as a drawback with this stove.

I've also never been able to turn the pellet feed completely up to its highest setting without the pellets eventually over flowing out of the pot. Not that would ever need to do it regularly, but might be nice if the option is there if I need to heat up the house quickly because the stove was off for a period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob