burn thermometer location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
I recently picked up a burn temp thermometer for keeping track of how our stove is burning.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me the best location to place the thermometer on my stove.

I have an old atlanta stove works stove - its the kind that is completely surrounded by a tin shield - i'll try to post a picture if you arent familiar.

anyways. I've had the thermometer stuck to the stove pipe but it seems like most of the time, the temp is down between 200 - 300 degrees.

today, just out of curiosity, I moved the thermometer to the stop of the wood box and it has been nice and steady at 400 F.

so my question is, which location is most appropriate for my setup?

I just want to make sure that I don't overfire my stove or produce too much creosote by operating at the wrong temps.

Here is a pic. of my stove

stove.jpg

and a pic of where the therm. is mounted now

stovetherm1.jpg

Flint, having the gauge on the pipe is okay as is that temperature. If you want the gauge on the stove, I'd say dead center would be the place to stick it. However, the steel on that isn't too thick so the theory of 1/2 of the inside temperature might or might not be true. I certainly would not hesitate to run it at 600 degrees and perhaps much higher. On our soapstone stove, 700 is considered overfiring. Some on here have taken their stoves up to 900 degrees, but that would make me a little bit more than nervous. Once you get over 600 degrees, it is pretty darned hot.

That stove is very much like our old Ashley. We used it for many a year and it is now sitting out back and used only for burning papers. I may use it to boil some sap next spring though.

Status
Not open for further replies.