BURN TIME CLARIFICATION FOR A NEWBIE?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiefire

Dec 16, 2008
rural saskatchewan canada
looking through the posts and see guys getting burn times of 8-14 hours. is this from reload on a nice coal bed to when it burns down to a coal bed again or from nice coal bed to when the flames go out? i am lucky to get 3 hours but i don't really load the stove full. it is more than warm enough in here . would loading the stove more give me higher burn temps or just longer burn times ? i have an osburn regency 1000 stove seems to draft well, stove top at 650* stove pipe around 350*.

thanks for the link. if i go by that then i am closer to 6 hours. i don't burn the hardest wood, some sort of poplar and it is not very big between 6-8" in diameter but it is dry. so maybe this is the longest i can expect.

I myself consider burn time from load to end of a decent heat output. And yes, everyone has their own view of burn time.
Useful heat output for me is load and up to temp to about 300 degrees, after that its more like luke warm heat being put out, and 300 is pretty much the lowest I like it to go before reloading.
Although I have let it get down to 200 and reloaded without significant problems, but no I have to allow for fire box to get up to temp longer.

thanx for the input. i will try loading the stove well tonight and see what i have in the morning!

prairiefire said:
thanx for the input. i will try loading the stove well tonight and see what i have in the morning!

To obtain long burn times & not heat yourself out of the house on a full load, load large splits in then fill in on top with whatever smaller splits fit.
Large means as large as you have and that will fit through the opening. There is no such thing as too large, unless it don't fit though the door opening, then its too large . ;)

Make sure its dry and the larger pcs will take a bit more time to fire up good, be nearby, and be patient.

i am starting to think i need bigger splits but getting bigger stuff around here would mean about a three hour drive north in -40* weather, mostly jack pine and birch up there. i will be better prepared next year as this is our first year doing this. will have to take my truck and trailer up to my brothers cabin and do some felling. sounds like fun though.

Lets face it, the first year of burning is a big ol mixture of excitement, worry, paranoia, and yet peacefulness, relaxation, joy, and many other feelings knowing your heating your home for a lot less money, with some exercise mixed in, and that heat that wood offers. Your also checking the thermo every few minutes, even with a flashlight on those nights the lights are off to enjoy the fire, constantly adding wood as there is " only coals" in there. Then wondering why there is 6" of coals and 1/2 the room to add more wood. Getting to know your stove, and her sweet spot, and the temps she brings the home up to etc etc etc.
After a few years for me it goes like this:
Fall arrives, look forward to getting the stove going, have wood ready, stove ready, liner ready etc. December still enjoying the heat. Come January starting to look at 1/2 the wood left, thinking of spring and color and getting out and such. Come February, I am ready for warmer weather, had pretty much lost all want to keep feeding the beat, but always enjoying the warmth. But at that point, I load it 3x a day, and don't really think about it other than when at night sitting on the couch and enjoying the view. But the newness has died off a while back. I love my stove, love saving money, love the work out I get, but come end of winter, you betcha I am ready to put her out for the rest of the year till next heating season. Load & go, but always, ALWAYS give your stove the respect & caution it deserves. For if you don't, thats when the shat hits the fan. Just like riding a cycle. Get too comfy with it, and forget the cautious parts, and you may get hurt.
Burn what you have, next year get yourself some bigger rounds and you will see what everyone is talking about in regards to bigger rounds for overnight burns. Plus you have soft woods, so your already at a disadvantage for longer burns. But as you stated, you already get plenty of heat, so anything else is a bonus as in longer heating times.
Congrats.

thanx for the encouragment, it is a lot of work but i have never been shy of that. yeah i do find it exciting but am cautious at the same time. stove was in the house when we bought it took two years of dealing with the wrong insurance broker to get it insured. switched brokers had it inspected passed with flying colors now it is insured. cleaned the chimney and am now burning and loving it. my wife makes fun of me cause i am always fiddling with it she says leave it alone i reply if i don't get to know it and understand it how would i know when something is wrong! thanx again

so is it safe to say that the "official" burn time is from ignition of load to the temp of around 200 degrees (stove temp). I'm guessing that because I read somewhere that wood ignites from 190 to 260 degrees....brb.... http://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html

sounds reasonable to me but i am a "newbie". does hearth.com sell shirts? i think i would look good in a "newbie" shirt

prairiefire said:
does hearth.com sell shirts? i think i would look good in a "newbie" shirt

That would be cool...

Like..... "Wood burners like it hot! We do it in the stove!"

:coolcheese:

that would be cool.... or is it hot...
maybe we should post this in the suggestions section :)

Hogwildz said:
Lets face it, the first year of burning is a big ol mixture of excitement, worry, paranoia, and yet peacefulness, relaxation, joy, and many other feelings knowing your heating your home for a lot less money, with some exercise mixed in, and that heat that wood offers. Your also checking the thermo every few minutes, even with a flashlight on those nights the lights are off to enjoy the fire, constantly adding wood as there is " only coals" in there. Then wondering why there is 6" of coals and 1/2 the room to add more wood. Getting to know your stove, and her sweet spot, and the temps she brings the home up to etc etc etc.
Fall arrives, look forward to getting the stove going, have wood ready, stove ready, liner ready etc. December still enjoying the heat. Come January starting to look at 1/2 the wood left, thinking of spring and color and getting out and such. Come February, I am ready for warmer weather, had pretty much lost all want to keep feeding the beat, but always enjoying the warmth. But at that point, I load it 3x a day, and don't really think about it other than when at night sitting on the couch and enjoying the view. But the newness has died off a while back. I love my stove, love saving money, love the work out I get, but come end of winter, you betcha I am ready to put her out for the rest of the year till next heating season. Load & go, but always, ALWAYS give your stove the respect & caution it deserves. For if you don't, thats when the shat hits the fan. Just like riding a cycle. Get too comfy with it, and forget the cautious parts, and you may get hurt.
Burn what you have, next year get yourself some bigger rounds and you will see what everyone is talking about in regards to bigger rounds for overnight burns. Plus you have soft woods, so your already at a disadvantage for longer burns. But as you stated, you already get plenty of heat, so anything else is a bonus as in longer heating times.
Congrats.
That's a cool post Hogwildz ... It sums up and describes a lot of what I've learned and like about this forum.

Rob

Good apology hog. Never known anybody hurt on a bike or with a stove that wasn't either not paying attention or showing off. You don't need to be afraid of either of them but ya gotta respect what they can get ya into.

BrotherBart said:
Good apology hog. Never known anybody hurt on a bike or with a stove that wasn't either not paying attention or showing off. You don't need to be afraid of either of them but ya gotta respect what they can get ya into.
What am I apologizing for? LOL
I respect my bike, but when alone I can get a lil careless, but its on purpose.
Can't help it.

Hogwildz said:
I myself consider burn time from load to end of a decent heat output. And yes, everyone has their own view of burn time.
Useful heat output for me is load and up to temp to about 300 degrees, after that its more like luke warm heat being put out, and 300 is pretty much the lowest I like it to go before reloading.
Although I have let it get down to 200 and reloaded without significant problems, but no I have to allow for fire box to get up to temp longer.

So far this is the best definition of burn time that I've seen . . . meaningful, steady heat output vs. heat output that fluctuates wildly (i.e. very hot to cool as the fire dies out), heat output not hot enough to warm the home (i.e. figuring the time from when the match is lit until the fire goes out or by figuring in time where the fire is going or coaling but there is no real amount of heat being utilized) and a burn time where the fire can easily be easily started up again by simply placing seasoned splits or rounds on the hot coals.

Hogwildz said:
Congrats.

Well I haven't done a full year yet with heating with wood . . . but so far your description is pretty much spot on with the various mix of feelings (i.e. the fear that causes one to sleep on the couch in front of the stove for the first night or two, the joy of being outside and doing some "real" work, the relaxation of watching the fire, etc.) . . . and about the flashlight and constantly checking the thermometer . . . sounds like you've been peeking in my living room window! :) ;)

I am pleased to note however that I haven't had too much of a coaling issue . . . namely because I was dutiful and read up on better burning techniques here at hearth.com early on . . . but my wife (who still doesn't understand my wood burning obsession here at hearth.com) still continues to have the mindset that no flames = no heat (but I cannot complain too much since she can run the stove pretty well, start the fire faster than me and hasn't complained too much about the mess.)

The one thing you forgot to mention about the new wood burner though is their fascination with all the toys which many of us suddenly find that we cannot survive without . . . even though many folks have been burning wood without these items for hundreds of years . . . things like IR thermometers, moisture meters, various implements of destruction (or well, splitting), etc. :) ;)

I'm beginning to find that when I load the stove up all the way to get maximum burn time, I end up with a box full of big chunk coals in the morning. I then have to wait for those coals to burn down before I reload or I get too much chunky ash. I like it when there's fine ash with just enough coals to get another fire going. Lately when I build an overnight fire I use a lot less wood and it works out well for me.
Experiment with your damper, air inlet, load size and log placement and you'll get the type of burn you're looking for. To me maximum burn time is irrelevant, it's finding the burn that suits my needs. I think for 24/7 burners maximum burn time is everything though.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Can't help it.

It was supposed to say "analogy". :red:

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Can't help it.

It was supposed to say "analogy". :red:
Oh, okay, I understand now ;)
Just common sense really. But seems many lack that these days. I too on occasion even.

Hogwildz said:
prairiefire said:

To obtain long burn times & not heat yourself out of the house on a full load, load large splits in then fill in on top with whatever smaller splits fit.
Large means as large as you have and that will fit through the opening. There is no such thing as too large, unless it don't fit though the door opening, then its too large . ;)

Make sure its dry and the larger pcs will take a bit more time to fire up good, be nearby, and be patient.

You've made me now want to split a 22 X 13 X 13 rectangular split and stick it in the stove with a super cedar. That will be the ultimate test of the "no split too big" theory, and might give me a 72 hour burn :p

karri0n said:
You've made me now want to split a 22 X 13 X 13 rectangular split and stick it in the stove with a super cedar. That will be the ultimate test of the "no split too big" theory, and might give me a 72 hour burn :p

I'd like to see the video of you putting that in your stove... or would you take the stove apart and build it around the split for the test? Wonder how many super cedars it would take... come to think of it, don't those things have a guarantee to light your fire? Hmmm... probably limited to replacing the SC that failed to work for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.