Burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
test w/ a manometer if above .08" wc then install a key damper
Thanks, appreciate the input. Looking at my latest load and burn, the flames look quite different compared to previous ones. I think I may have been using the Cat wrong, that and the lever was sticking originally so wasn't fully engaging it. We'll see if that fixes things first.

For me my burn time is the time from putting wood in untill the stove is no longer maintaining heat in the home and I have to put more wood in.
While this is a very good definition of something like "useful burn time", it's so dependent on the house and climate into which the stove is installed, it cannot be used by any stove manufacturer or buyer as a means of comparing one stove to another.

On cat stoves, it seems this forum has condensed on using hours of active cat reburn, easily observed on a cat probe thermometer. I'd think some analog to that would be useful on non-cats too, such as hours of secondary reburn, even if only by visual confirmation.

Since the heat output of both tech's seems to drop dramatically when the active reburn phase is done, it probably would correlate to some degree with bholler's definition above, but definitely not equal under all circumstances.

Thanks, appreciate the input. Looking at my latest load and burn, the flames look quite different compared to previous ones. I think I may have been using the Cat wrong, that and the lever was sticking originally so wasn't fully engaging it. We'll see if that fixes things first.
Hopefully your problem is solved