Burned out Control Board Mnt. Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping anyone confirm the part # for the power cord which I am looking for? It runs from the power supply unit to the control board AC current ... I believe it to be 7034-220.

Thanks
That looks like the right one:
MtV_PS.jpg

It's from the Mt Vernon-AE Troubleshooting Manual. To download it, see this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ble-trouble-shoot-manual.105258/#post-1367024

Hi All: Been remiss in responding. Anyway received the new wire 7034-220 and installed, plugged in the stove and boom ... nothing.. completely dead. After brief phone call with quad-fire figured I would double check the fuse in the power supply. I did check previously and noticed it looked a bit thicker in the middle but when I checked with ohm meter it was ok. Anyway when removed I noticed the fuse clamp was stretched and the fuse was extremely loose in the holder (probably from me not aligning correctly the first time I replaced). Tightened the clamp reinstalled power supply and voila fire! Been running like a champ for 4 weeks now.

One thing I will state is Quad-fire stood behind their product. Hopefully after this fix the only maintenance will be cleaning and the occasional igniter replacement ... though Quad seems pretty confident that the newest board will extend the igniter life ... time will tell.

Cheers

CJ

Just bought an AE insert in Oct 2014 fuses in place for ignitor, woke up this morning to a melting circuit board that appears to have started at the ignitor plug. The stove was still running and I even used the wall control to shut it down before unplugging. Glad the cat woke me up when it happened at 3:30AM. Tech is going to come look at it today, should be covered by warranty I hope. It does make me nervous going forward. I have really enjoyed the stove this winter, liked it better than my Harman P68 that's in the basement. I hope this is a one time issue that gets resolved quickly or I may regret not going with the Accentra.

Attachments

• IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 296
Very sorry to hear about your stove, and hope warranty covers all. When they figure out what's wrong, please do report back. It could help many here know what to look for in their stove. Very troubling that this happened on a newer MVAE, with the fuses.

Very impressed with the quick response of my stove shop, "Maine Stove and Chimney" They replaced the board, power supply, blower, and a bunch of wires all the day after the incident at no cost to me. I'm still a bit concerned about why it happened and about it not happening again. I'll pass along any info I'm able to get from their investigation.

That is impressive service in-season.

Just out of curiosity,Was it a 300 watt ignitor,or the standard 500 watt ignitor that shorted out?Mine was the standard 500 watt that shi$%^ the bed. I also plan to put the newer wiring harness on my 2009 MvAe stove,that has a 300 watt ignitor in it.
The new igniter is a 300 watt. The old style is 380. watt. No 500 watts. kap

The new wire harness for the igniter is mainly for ease of access to a blown fuse that is in line in the new harness. Otherwise, it is removing and taking apart the control board to get at the fuse there. A side affect may also be to keep a short from toasting the board. kap

Thought I read some of the posts on all the MVE2 getting replacement boards. Bad series of boards being used ?

Trying to fix the exploding glass issue.

Looks like the same spot where my board failed 2 years ago although looks like it got much hotter probably b/c it was plugged in longer confirming my concern that the stove does not shut down from this.

While I am here might as well state that my stove has been running like a champ and knock on wood using the same igniter I replaced in Nov. 2013 which is quite a good run considering I went through them at least once a year.

Anyone using a surge protector I hear this is a must have for the stove?

BTW Easy Heat pellets are terrible.

Everyone should use a surge protector ... many use a ups ... Tripplite is a brand I've seen. A search using the box upper right should give you some ideas.

Looks like the same spot where my board failed 2 years ago although looks like it got much hotter probably b/c it was plugged in longer confirming my concern that the stove does not shut down from this.

While I am here might as well state that my stove has been running like a champ and knock on wood using the same igniter I replaced in Nov. 2013 which is quite a good run considering I went through them at least once a year.

BTW Easy Heat pellets are terrible.
I have been using the Tripplite Iso Bar. It is solidly built and has a good reputation.
Regarding the igniter failures, Some of the stories make it sound like the line and neutral were reversed on the line feed to the stove. No proof, just from the descriptions of the damage incurred. Then Quad introduced a harness with a fuse on each leg of the igniter. That would make no sense unless one were trying to protect against a fault to ground from the neutral leg of the AC.
For the $30 the harness cost, I considered it a cheap insurance policy (you know, insurance is a bet that you hope to lose). I know my circuit is wired properly but sometimes weird things happen. A plug in line tester for about $5 will verify that the AC is wired correctly.
I'm surprised that you went through so many igniters. My first one went bad at about 3 months, it was the high wattage version (380W) and the second one (300W version) is still going since the beginning of 2012.

Stupidest design of those AE stoves is using a solid core wire from the thermocouples to unnsoldered nickel pcb pins. The wire has memory and pulls on the molex causing the pins to lift right off the board. A .14 cent item that causes havoc and hundreds and hundreds of dollars to fix after an inexperienced tech poked around looking for something to jump out at him.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Very impressed with the quick response of my stove shop, "Maine Stove and Chimney" They replaced the board, power supply, blower, and a bunch of wires all the day after the incident at no cost to me. I'm still a bit concerned about why it happened and about it not happening again. I'll pass along any info I'm able to get from their investigation.
I bought my MVAE from them a couple of years ago and although I haven't had to call upon them for service yet (knock on wood), I am not at all surprised to read about their excellent service given the experience I had with their consultation and installation. I recommend them to all that will listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.