burning hot and fast saves wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Thanks to the great info on here I am saving wood and getting more heat, I started off by turning the damper down so just a few flames were visable but after reading about secondary burn I am burning smaller hotter fires with loads of dancing flames and secondary burn....and I am getting more heat with less refuelling doing it this way, logic tells me that burning hot with plenty of flames uses more wood but I have discovered secodary burning = less wood..
Thanks Guys.

Short hot fires in mild weather are often better and cleaner burning. As it gets cold, you may be reducing the air 5-10 min. after adding a refill of wood on a hot coal bed. Not enough to choke the fire, but enough so that the secondary burn is predominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.