Burning just a little coal in an Intrepid 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Z Man

Dec 20, 2015
Massachusetts
I couldn't find any posts with opinions on this, so I hope you'll share yours. I have an original Intrepid 1 stove that's very much too small for my 2,700 square foot house. But it's what's there and I'm not going to replace it this winter.

I burn mostly red oak and have an unlimited quantity on the property, and I want to keep doing that for financial reasons. But overnight burns are problematic because the stove is so small. Even if I can keep it lit all night, it doesn't stay very hot.

So I'd like to try burning just a little bit of coal at night.

I've never burned coal before, but I have the impression that a few pieces of nut coal will provide a long, moderate burn. My plan is to add it to the top of the stove when I fill it with wood for the night.

The stove is rated for coal, though this one doesn't have the optional shaker grates or hopper.

Can anyone share any thoughts (or experiences) about this plan?

Coal, to burn well requires air under it and the right setup. Just throwing it in the fire isn't going to add much of anything for you in my opinion.

Also, do you have a masonry chimney, SS chimney, or SS lined chimney? Depending on your chimney, if metal, you need to make certain that it is rated for coal. Coal used in SS chimney/liners that is not rated for it, will deteriorate.

I couldn't find any posts with opinions on this, so I hope you'll share yours. I have an original Intrepid 1 stove that's very much too small for my 2,700 square foot house. But it's what's there and I'm not going to replace it this winter.

I burn mostly red oak and have an unlimited quantity on the property, and I want to keep doing that for financial reasons. But overnight burns are problematic because the stove is so small. Even if I can keep it lit all night, it doesn't stay very hot.

So I'd like to try burning just a little bit of coal at night.

I've never burned coal before, but I have the impression that a few pieces of nut coal will provide a long, moderate burn. My plan is to add it to the top of the stove when I fill it with wood for the night.

The stove is rated for coal, though this one doesn't have the optional shaker grates or hopper.

Can anyone share any thoughts (or experiences) about this plan?
Did you try the coal?

Status
Not open for further replies.