Burning lessons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrzgrl

Nov 18, 2014
New Jersey
Stove is up and warming the house nicely. I remember my husband closing the damper and turning the thermostat control down when we went to bed to keep the fully loaded stove burning all night. Am I remembering correctly? I want to keep the house warm. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh it's a 1979 Vermont Casting Resolute. I haven't used it since he passed but if you read my previous posts, you know the chimney is now clean and gaskets replaced.

if you don't have a thermometer on your stove go out and get one. running a stove with no glass to see the fire is like driving down a country road at night with the lights off. run the stove at 500 to 650 and you be fine.

if you don't have a thermometer on your stove go out and get one. running a stove with no glass to see the fire is like driving down a country road at night with the lights off. run the stove at 500 to 650 and you be fine.

Thanks, I will go buy a thermometer. I do have glass on the front, I was just concerned if it ok to run it with the damper closed all night. Where would I put the thermometer? What is the proper place?

Status
Not open for further replies.