Burning manure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anton Smirnov said:
Uhm, if you are going to burn cow poo, you have to 'process' it.

The usual meathod is to collect a patty, mix with straw, and stick to the walls of your hut to dry.

I kid you not

(what I recall from my 10th grade world cultures / history class - it made a big impression on my little sub-urban mind)

this is correct. I've been to many places where the primary/only fuel is dung. warmed my hands by many such a fire. And there's no denying it, sh*t smells, no matter how you handle it. You've got to 1) collect it, 2) mix with straw or similar to bond it together, 3) flatten it out in the sun to dry 4) collect the now dry and dusty faggots and pile them up in your kitchen-bedroom-living room hut (or yurt) and feed them to the fire. They smell very foul when burning-- it is a totally distinctive smell, one you only encounter in poor counties, but its the same smell in all of them.

there's a reason wealthy nations like ours burn trillions of gallons of oil-- we don't like getting sh*t on our hands.

Boy, I shutter at the thought of all the cords of "lawn sausages" I've gotten rid of over the years! Would they still be measured in "cords" as wood is??

Status
Not open for further replies.