Q&A Burning old utility poles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Jotul 3CB (non-catalytic) which I purchased in December 1996. I also have, compliments of the previous owner of my property, a number of old utility poles which I believe were treated with creosote to make them last. They have been weathering for a number of years, possibly a decade or so. I know they will burn, for example in a campfire, but my question is whether they could or should not be burned in my stove. Will the creosote be burnt in the stove, or will it redeposit in the chimney? Do you have any experience with this?

Answer:

They should not be burned in a stove or a campfire, etc. These poles can contain some pretty harsh chemicals, which will end up hurting your (and your neighbors) lungs....as much or more than they hurt the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.