Burning plastic on stove cleanup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whoppr

Jan 25, 2013
OK. So I did something stupid. I had the shop vac around the wood stove cleaning some some areas near the stove. The vac hose was resting on the bottom of the stove near the door and did not realize it so the hose melted onto the stove at the bottom of the front doors. Doh!!!!

I scraped off already what I could with a putty knife. Any advise how to get the remaining residue of plastic off the stove? Am I ultimately going to have to sand it (spring time) and repaint that area?

Thanks for any help

If I made that mistake, which is entirely possible because I suffer from ADD-DDD, first I wouldn't admit it was my mistake - "a friend of mine..." then, if it's not enamel I'd go at it with a butane torch and steel wool to remelt and scrub. Then, after I screwed that up, I'd go back onto Hearth.com and talk about how my friend really messed that up after trying that method.

I made a somewhat similar mistake. Installed my new (steel) stove in a new construction room within my pole building. Did the break in fires while the framing was open to vent the smell. Sheathed it over, then had another fire. Smelled something off, and realized that in the process that I had knocked shavings from where I penetrated the plastic peak onto the stove. It was too hot to do anything about it, so I let it go. It carbonized off, with no ill effects on the stove top. If it is a minimal amount, you should be fine. I wouldn't have unattended fires until it is burned off.

I would let it cool and see what you can pick/ scrape off.

How much plastic is left? Can you post a pic?

Yeah I can post a pic... Give me a bit. It is not enamel. There is not much left to be honest. I was able to scrape quite a bit, all the big chunks but there is remaining layer on the stove.. You can see the contrast with the surrounding paint. Almost like plastic paint or enamel or like stove polish or something.

Re Rearscreen, yes probably my bigger mistake was not saying "my friend" or even better blaming one of my kids.