Burning Small Pines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
I just did some thinning in a newer pine forest and have about 1500 2.5" to 3" thick pines scattering the ground. The choice is either to let them rot where they lay or cut them up and burn them next year in a fireplace insert. I'd like to get the woods cleaned up a little and provide some house heat if possible.

Are there any issues burning these "mini-logs" in a modern non-cat stove or should I just stick to split wood?

Kirk

I've burned a bunch of small pine with no problems. Some of the trees had a disease that would make them ooze pitch and create pitch pockets quite large and that made burning very entertaining as long as I watched them carefully!

Down here in the Virginia flatlands pine is burning in both of my stoves at this very moment. And has been since October.

Great for start-ups, spring/fall fires and reducing large hardwood coal beds. Keep it!

Gunner said:
Great for start-ups, spring/fall fires and reducing large hardwood coal beds. Keep it!

really? it won't hurt the stack any?

As long as it is seasoned properly, Pine won't make any more creosote than hardwoods. It does burn fast and HOT however.

abj1969 said:
Gunner said:

really? it won't hurt the stack any?

So what you're saying is that I should go pick up a bunch of christmas tress after the holidays to help supplement my wood pile for next fall? Sad thing is I'm only partially kidding. This has actually crossed my mind.

I've never burned pine/spruce/etc. Local lore has it that you do get a buildup in the flue if you constantly burn these. Watching various threads, I see that elsewhere in the US and CA folks seem to be burning it with no problem. Live and Learn!

I think the key to burning pine without problems is to make sure it doesn't smolder...you want FLAME...I would also avoid burning it when it's super cold outside to try to minimize creosote that condenses when your exhaust smoke is cooled below the dew point...

lvfd50 said:
So what you're saying is that I should go pick up a bunch of christmas tress after the holidays to help supplement my wood pile for next fall? Sad thing is I'm only partially kidding. This has actually crossed my mind.
Where I live, most Christmas trees are balsam or frasier fir. Both are pretty weak firewood, hardle worth going out of your way for.

lvfd50 said:

When I was in the Sheriff's Academy, they used old, dried-out Christmas trees in our jail-firefighting first responder class. Talk about a spectacular, short, hot fire! I swear you could see it from space...

~jd

Status
Not open for further replies.