Burning the new King Ultra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rdust said:
Hiram Maxim said:
I couldnt pull it apart (arthritis) so the company sent me another and didn't want the old one back.

What are you gonna do when you get old!? :p
move to a warmer climate, already investigating it. Winters no fun...

Good advice given here to me by all of you,THANKS,I loaded a 3/4 load north south last night at 6 kept the house at 72 with outside temps at 26 and a window open about 6 inches 9:30 am now house 71 a nice coal bed cat still at about 10 O clock,reloaded with 4 splits east west this should carry me until 10 tonight when I come home from work.I'm going to extend the chimney 2 or 3 feet,whatever and see if that helps some. PS one last question how long should I keep the bypass open before I open the stove door for a reload to prevent a small amount of smoke from billowing out,and will the chimney extension rectify that problem.

double

Hiram Maxim said:
ohlongarm said:
Good advice given here to me by all of you,THANKS,I loaded a 3/4 load north south last night at 6 kept the house at 72 with outside temps at 26 and a window open about 6 inches 9:30 am now house 71 a nice coal bed cat still at about 10 O clock,reloaded with 4 splits east west this should carry me until 10 tonight when I come home from work.I'm going to extend the chimney 2 or 3 feet,whatever and see if that helps some. PS one last question how long should I keep the bypass open before I open the stove door for a reload to prevent a small amount of smoke from billowing out,and will the chimney extension rectify that problem.

OMG !Please I beg You, for the love of everything holy......Load it all the way! :cheese: Whats Your damage????LOL

Its not like other stoves where the more you put in the hotter it will burn, I assume You don't quite understand that yet......or something?

What did you have the T-Stat set at?

I'm getting 24-30hr burns on Silver Maple and White Birch mixed.

The temps here in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana are still pretty warm for burning during the day.

That being said might I suggest always loading at night for 3 reasons.

First You will need most of Your heat during the Evening/Night time.

Second Night time temps are cooler so Your stove will draft better.

Third so there is never a rush to get out the door to Work!

To answer Your question I turn the T-stat open all the way, open up the bypass and wait a minute, then open the stove door.

Rake your coals forward, lay down small stuff to get the fire going for a good draft, rock 4 monster splits in the bottom, let them take off, then FILL the rest of the stove.

This is the last time I will say this FILL the stove!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You can lead a horse to water

Cheers, Hiram

Okay I'll take it from an experienced BK burner,and load her up. My Tstat last night was at 2. One last thing,extend the chimney 4 to 6 feet? Thanks for your patience.

ohlongarm said:
Okay I'll take it from an experienced BK burner,and load her up. My Tstat last night was at 2. One last thing,extend the chimney 4 to 6 feet? Thanks for your patience.

Honestly I would try burning the stove on a full load, window closed after loading, bringing the T-stat slowly down(20 minute increment's) to "1"

If it were me....I'd Try that for 3 or 4 days and see if it doesn't serve you better, then if it doesn't work add Your 4 to 6 ft.

I have messed with the East/West to death and its just not IMHO optimal for this stove. :shut:

How many square ft are you heating or trying to heat?

How is the insulation and windows?

Ranch or multiple story?

The other option you can try is an Outside air connection if your application allows for it.

Just have fun! :) Everyone here is light Hearted and more than willing to help out.

Solar & Wind and North of 60° have a lot of burn time with these stoves so their old posts and knowledge is very helpful.

House is 1600 sq.ft ranch open floor plan,Pella windows double pane but 35 years old,in good shape.house is insulated when built by original owners 40 years ago.Another question,when reloading all goes fine until I put the last few pieces of wood in then I get slight smoke spillage that emits from the roof of the stove front. Is this a draft problem? Thanks

ohlongarm said:
Another question,when reloading all goes fine until I put the last few pieces of wood in then I get slight smoke spillage that emits from the roof of the stove front. Is this a draft problem? Thanks

This time of year is tough since it's still on the warm side. I was having the same issue when I started burning this stove and NEVER had a problem with smoke spillage with my Lopi Endeavor.(non cat) I found that burning it on high for 5 minutes or so to warm the flue backup(remember cold flue on low burn) then I open the bypass for a minute or two longer then I crack the door for about 30 seconds and slowly open it. This along with cracking my doorwall an couple inches does the trick.

If that doesn't help it should clear up when you add some length to your chimney.

rdust said:
ohlongarm said:
Another question,when reloading all goes fine until I put the last few pieces of wood in then I get slight smoke spillage that emits from the roof of the stove front. Is this a draft problem? Thanks

This time of year is tough since it's still on the warm side. I was having the same issue when I started burning this stove and NEVER had a problem with smoke spillage with my Lopi Endeavor.(non cat) I found that burning it on high for 5 minutes or so to warm the flue backup(remember cold flue on low burn) then I open the bypass for a minute or two longer then I crack the door for about 30 seconds and slowly open it. This along with cracking my doorwall an couple inches does the trick.

If that doesn't help it should clear up when you add some length to your chimney.

+1

Try using 4 sheets of news paper before you put the last splits in.

Open sheets, light them on top of the wood, individually so it sends heat up the chimney fast and hot.

Trick my Grandfather taught me......works great for start up as well. ;-)

Just a tip for you re. extending your chimney.

I had to extend my chimney in order for my Oslo to burn well. Between my neighbour and myself, I gathered together several pieces of old single wall pipe.
I started by adding a 2' section - no difference in the draw of the stove.
Added another 2' section - the draw was a little better - but still not great.
Added a 1' section - voila - very good draft; and the Oslo finally worked the way it was designed to!
So...now I knew how much double walled chimney pipe to buy - ended up with a 4' and a 1.5' section.

There 's 2 advantages to the above 'method'. First, by experimenting with cheap/hopefully used single wall pipe, you will determine if extending your chimney
will solve the problem. Second, if the additional pipe solves the problem, you will know exactly how much of the expensive double wall pipe you will need.

Good Luck!

Well how she burning now?

nelraq said:

I had to extend my chimney in order for my Oslo to burn well. Between my neighbour and myself, I gathered together several pieces of old single wall pipe.
Added a 1' section - voila - very good draft; and the Oslo finally worked the way it was designed to!
So...now I knew how much double walled chimney pipe to buy - ended up with a 4' and a 1.5' section.

There 's 2 advantages to the above 'method'. First, by experimenting with cheap/hopefully used single wall pipe, you will determine if extending your chimney
will solve the problem. Second, if the additional pipe solves the problem, you will know exactly how much of the expensive double wall pipe you will need.

Good Luck!
thats a good idea.. save ya some money and hassle

nelraq said:

Good Luck!
thats a good idea.. save ya some money and hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.