burning veggie oil in a standard oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
Just curious, what would it take to burn Veggie oil in a regular boiler.

I am assuming you would need to filter / dewater it & have some sort of pre-heating set up. does anybody make those for home use?

I am interested in something simple & ready to install, not a 40 page manual and a list of parts.

With fuel oil around $4/gallon and rising, this is a pretty good idea. Fuel oil is basically deisel without dye and road tax and deisel engines can be converted.

Just need a reasonable supply chain for vegetable oil and I'm there.

There is a Yahoo users group dedicated to this topic. I'd suggest signing up for it. You will find there is no simple kit for this process. You can add up to 20% straight WVO (waste veg oil) directly to your HHO without modifying your existing furnace. If you try this route I'd start with 5% and work your way up to 20%.

I think the viscosity of 100% WVO would be a problem, unless you preheated it, thus adding to the complexity. Cutting it with regular oil or kerosene would probably be a lot easier. You will probably want to establish a ratio and have the burner tuned up while burning the mix, as the difference in heat content will probably mess up your fuel/air ratio.

Chris

I have a brother-in-law who has experimented with this thoroughly. He made a bunch of equipment for changing used cooking oil into bio-diesel. As previously stated you can only burn up to 20% without modifying a few things. In order to burn higher you need a new pump with no rubber/plastic gaskets and a nozel that allows less fuel into the firing chamber. (It burns so hot he burned out the chamber on his old boiler!) It worked really slick once he got it tweaked right.

Now he has a German waste oil furnace that will burn the veg oil without having to make it into bio-diesel. He just filters out the crumbs and then it is preheated and forced into the chamber with an air compressor. He uses this as an add on boiler to heat the other boiler in parallel. His fuel is free, but the waste oil furnace was as pricey as my Tarm gasifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.