Burning without gasket around cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tensend

Jan 4, 2023
Northern Ontario
So I bought my home with a Blaze King Princess in August 2020 and it’s worked great up until a few days ago I couldn’t keep a fire going when the bypass was closed. I had to work and returned today to troubleshoot.

For anyone struggling I learned my lesson
ALMOST ALL YOU NEED IS IN THE MANUAL!

I didn’t read the part about getting a new gasket before removing the cat and to be honest I’m not sure the old owner did either because I seen no evidence of the old one in there that is suppose to break apart and need to be removed.

Anyway I’m rambling. The cat was filthy for those wondering and I called a dealer and he can’t get me a gasket till Monday or Tuesday. He offered me a brand new Cat already wrapped I declined and decided to wait. But I asked if I can burn without the cat in for ( was told this is illegal and probably cancels any insurance) then he suggested I can burn with cat in no gasket and bypass open.What are everyone’s thoughts here on this? I read running the stove like this can cause an over firing? So I thought it was weird he suggested it. All input appreciated. We have an oil furnace as well but it’s slightly undersized and the woodstove is cheaper to be honest but the furnace will hold me till I get the gasket.

Part of the manual that helped me a lot for anyone that needs it

Bonus - pic of dirty Cat

5F4BB208-6E69-4239-803E-0B02EB54631A.jpeg

Last edited:
Do not burn it with the bypass open after the cat meter is active. You’ll melt out the bypass gasket retainers.

Maybe you can run the cat without a gasket in an emergency but it certainly is not running as designed and I wouldn’t want it running very hot. The cat dome is 3/8” steel so unlikely to melt but some smoke will pass around the catalyst.

Do not burn it with the bypass open after the cat meter is active. You’ll melt out the bypass gasket retainers.

Maybe you can run the cat without a gasket in an emergency but it certainly is not running as designed and I wouldn’t want it running very hot. The cat dome is 3/8” steel so unlikely to melt but some smoke will pass around the catalyst.
Thanks! I didn’t think so either
In fact I forgot the bypass once or twice and once it got hot enough I could almost smell a metallic smell and figured it couldn’t be good so was surprised the guy at the woodstove store suggested it

So I bought my home with a Blaze King Princess in August 2020 and it’s worked great up until a few days ago I couldn’t keep a fire going when the bypass was closed. I had to work and returned today to troubleshoot.

I didn’t read the part about getting a new gasket before removing the cat and to be honest I’m not sure the old owner did either because I seen no evidence of the old one in there that is suppose to break apart and need to be removed.

Anyway I’m rambling. The cat was filthy for those wondering and I called a dealer and he can’t get me a gasket till Monday or Tuesday. He offered me a brand new Cat already wrapped I declined and decided to wait. But I asked if I can burn without the cat in for ( was told this is illegal and probably cancels any insurance) then he suggested I can burn with cat in no gasket and bypass open.What are everyone’s thoughts here on this? I read running the stove like this can cause an over firing? So I thought it was weird he suggested it. All input appreciated. We have an oil furnace as well but it’s slightly undersized and the woodstove is cheaper to be honest but the furnace will hold me till I get the gasket.

Bonus - pic of dirty Cat

View attachment 306917That CAT is one of the nastiest I’ve see…. Your not burning bowling balls are you ??

Bonus - pic of dirty Cat

View attachment 306917
Just oak and maple, I burnt some birch the old owner had in the wooodpile he left me last year but I would say it wasn’t even a cord. This is my 2nd winter so hopefully this isn’t all me lol