Burning Wood Pellets in Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I got the dumb idea to come up with a system to burn wood Pellets when temperatures are moderate. So I made a metal container with legs, drilled a lot of holes in it, and set it in front of the primary air control. Kindling was used underneath. As the fire grew and the Pellets burnt, I cut the air back. In this picture the primary control is closed. I am getting about 15 minutes on a handful of Pellets. 20140111_151944.jpg

Yep I have done that..it works to some extent.
The crib i made was way bigger and I could put like 10lbs in it.

Haha Interesting... Kind of sounds like a lot of money. Mine was free, I just had to bend some metal around and drill some holes :cool:

I have a Pelleteer pellet basket that I have used a few times in the 30-NC. Puts out good medium heat and a pretty fire for a couple of hours or so but is a royal PITA to reload. And the smoke from the pellets stinks when reloading.

And the smoke from the pellets stinks when reloading.

You should get a whiff of the Vermont Softwoods. That smoke takes you back to the opium den, gets you hooked, and leaves you wanting for more repeat blasts! Piney goodness in a bag! First taste is free ;)

Stove Chow smoldering smells like something ya buy in a back alley in DC. <>

Another use for pellets is that in the cold weather many get excessive coaling and to help burn down the coals, they spread them out and then throw about a cup full of pellets on top. They say it works great but I have not yet experimented with it so can not say for sure.

I got the dumb idea to come up with a system to burn wood Pellets when temperatures are moderate. So I made a metal container with legs, drilled a lot of holes in it, and set it in front of the primary air control. Kindling was used underneath. As the fire grew and the Pellets burnt, I cut the air back. In this picture the primary control is closed. I am getting about 15 minutes on a handful of Pellets. View attachment 123685
Wow that looks like a rip roaring fire there;) Will keep the flue warm though.

I don't really want it to get too hot on a moderate day like today, I just need to keep some heat in my basement. The stove top is right around 250 degrees. It saves me from feeding it wood when I don't really need the heat. We will save the wood for another cold snap if it comes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.