Buying a fuel in small quantity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello,
Is that true that diesel fuel is fundamentally the same as heating oil? I need to buy a small quantity (5-10 gal). If yes, can I just add diesel fuel to the tank? It's filled up for about 1/4 now with the heating oil.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, it is true. This time of year diesel is probably mixed with kerosene to prevent gelling. I am not sure how that would affect things. I'm thinking it'd be okay, but I don't know.

Reactions: 4dimad
normally hho is #2 or #3 fuel, right now a lot of the fuel you will buy at the pump will be a blend of #1 and #2. It will not really matter to the burner other than it will probably take a bit more to achieve the same heat output. The lower the # of the fuel the lower the BTUs per gallon, as a plus the lower the # the thinner and less likely to gel. you will be fine running pump fuel in a fuel oil heater, I have gone both ways, fuel oil in a diesel and diesel in a fuel oil burner with absolutely no issues. Velvetfoot, they will sometimes cut with kerosene but usually the fuel is a more refined version with less paraffin, thus the lower cfpp. JP8 is also in the mix there, somewhere between kerosene and #1. As long as you don't get so thin you loose the lubricity you will be fine, a fuel oil burner is far more forgiving than an engine though, just don't put anything with gasoline or alcohol in and you'll be fine. If you are nervous about the nozzle/pump versus the fuel add some two stroke oil to the fuel you are adding and you will be golden.

Reactions: 4dimad
normally hho is #2 or #3 fuel, right now a lot of the fuel you will buy at the pump will be a blend of #1 and #2. It will not really matter to the burner other than it will probably take a bit more to achieve the same heat output. The lower the # of the fuel the lower the BTUs per gallon, as a plus the lower the # the thinner and less likely to gel. you will be fine running pump fuel in a fuel oil heater, I have gone both ways, fuel oil in a diesel and diesel in a fuel oil burner with absolutely no issues. Velvetfoot, they will sometimes cut with kerosene but usually the fuel is a more refined version with less paraffin, thus the lower cfpp. JP8 is also in the mix there, somewhere between kerosene and #1. As long as you don't get so thin you loose the lubricity you will be fine, a fuel oil burner is far more forgiving than an engine though, just don't put anything with gasoline or alcohol in and you'll be fine. If you are nervous about the nozzle/pump versus the fuel add some two stroke oil to the fuel you are adding and you will be golden.
Thank you!