Buying a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dean66

Oct 13, 2019
West Virginia
I’m in the market for a new stove this year I need a stove with at least a 3 cubic ft.³ fire box. I’m heating about 1800 square ft but my stove is going to be on my sun porch which has 3 sliding glass doors and I know I’m losing heat but I’ve been able to keep it around 67 with a US stove country hearth 2000 but I’m tired of loading it every 3 hours. I have about ‘4 of double wall pipe straight up and another ‘3 ft through the wall into an outside masonry chimney about ‘15 tall. I’ve been looking at pe stoves the summit , neo 2.5 which they claim will burn 12 hours and I just don’t believe it, I think the summit might but not the neo. I’m also considering the Blaze king princess and the Jøtul Rangeley tl 50. I just can’t make a decision between these stoves as they all have features I like. I think I need something that’s an easy breather with my chimney set up. Thanks for any help you can give I joined this site because I know a lot of you guys are experienced wood burners..

How big is your current stove. Because if it has to burn through all the wood in 3 hours to keep it warm enough another stove the same size will most likely have to do that same thing. Some stoves can run at lower setting allowing you to stretch the wood out but you will be producing a lower amount of heat over a longer period of time then,

I looked at the ht 2000 and the ht3000 , I’m kind of skeptical about the new 2020 models nobody knows how they got them to meet the new epa standards and how it will effect the way they burn..

I’m heating about 1800 square ft but my stove is going to be on my sun porch which has 3 sliding glass doors

is there any place else you can locate the stove? if not i'd try to find the most convective stove I could since most of the radiant heat is going to be lost.

I'd aim for convection also. Putting heavy covers over those doors will make a difference too.

Reactions: SpaceBus
no matter what you buy youre going to have a lot of heat loss through the glass doors. i have a sun porch that sounds pretty similar and i cant imagine trying to keep it open to the house during colder months. hopefully the roof and whatever walls are there are insulated for you. if the doors are the biggest issue id buy some premium thermal window treatments for them. my grandparents use a honeycomb style that seems to work well for there sunroom that has a gas stove as the heat source for the room.

I looked at the ht 2000 and the ht3000 , I’m kind of skeptical about the new 2020 models nobody knows how they got them to meet the new epa standards and how it will effect the way they burn..
I'm pretty sure the engineers that made the small changes know what they did. Often it's just improvements in air flow thru secondaries and some stoves its just testing as these improvements were made years ago . So in some instances they really haven't done anything but have the stove tested. And of course get the marketing department involved.

The neo is only a 2.5 cu ft firebox.

Have you considered an Englander NC 30 ?
They need a good well insulated hearth but it is a beast of a stove with some complaining they're too much. :ZZZ

Unless of course you don't like plain ugly steel stoves but then I don't see considering a BK.

Long burn time may not mean the same thing to you as someone else. The long burn is at low output which is probably not what you are looking for at all. You're probably more interested in firebox size and hourly BTU output.

Last edited:
I’m looking at several different stoves and I’m sure some of the new 2020 epa stoves were already there or close to the new limits. I think some of them were just tweaked so you could only damper them down so low which could affect burn times , as for how I want my stove to burn would depend on how cold it was at the time.. I’m a little concerned about draft with some of the new stoves and I really don’t want to reconfigure my chimney right now I’m leaning toward the summit right now but I also like the jotul F55 and rangeley. I like the burn times of BK stoves but I’m not sure they’ll work right with my chimney setup..

I forgot to mention I was interested in the Lopi Liberty but I was told that stove was discontinued by a dealer and I’m not sure that’s true since it’s still listed on their site..

I’ve decided to go with the pe summit pedestal model with blower I’ve read mostly good things about it although I haven’t read anything about the Le model I just hope I made the right decision..I thought I would get a few more opinions here but thank you to the guys that gave me some input I appreciate it. Buying a good quality stove is a tough decision to make almost as bad as buying a vehicle...