Buying a Quad fire AE 2018 leftover ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Terrie Lee

Sep 24, 2019
Orrtanna pa
I am very new to pellet stoves, have very poor wood stove for over 30 years, widowed 6 years now and want something a bit easy. Last year bringing in wood was just to much for me. Purchased a Quad Fire Ae 2018 leftover from a dealer. A few questions, my house is very open 28ft ceilings so I really don't see the thermostat working great for me cause it will work hard to get and keep a temp down where the stove is. Have stone all over the place where the thermostat will need to be hooked up so not sure about that. What do you all think of this stove???
Have a chimney that is over 25ft tall so I purchased a 30ft liner. My boys are going to install it they are very good with this kind of thing but not of us have pellet stove all wood. But they think this will be a good bit easy for me to keep up on. What do you all think I am pretty nervous about changing but really want to worried it will be a pain in the neck running the thing.

Adjust it so your comfortable. How big is the house (sq ft)? Buy your pellets. I have 2400 with high ceiling and use 4-5 tons. Harmon XXV

Adjust it so your comfortable. How big is the house (sq ft)? Buy your pellets. I have 2400 with high ceiling and use 4-5 tons. Harmon XXV
my house is around 2200sq my wood stove just kept the chill off so when i was home I didn't need to run my furnace, but the problem was when i left it burned out then when i got home I had to start it and wait for it to build up coals. And i use to think it was free heat lol just me working to bring it in. Now I am buying wood so not saving anything so thinking the pellet will be a bit more easy for me to maintain

Pellet stoves are not plug and play they need maintenance
and that includes cleaning
You also have to be able to handle 40 lb pellet bags
But at 70 I can still handle mine and love the stove

Having only 1 year use, I found 40lb Bags lots easier. No more dealing with logs, bucking up, splitting (got easier last 2 years with splitter). Downside is now I spend $1,100, before I spent nothing except time and effort.

Lots more Maintenance than Wood Stove. Biggest downside is Wood Stove would run without Power. Pellet stove I have to have battery backup (Inverter and 100ah Battery for 6 hour run time). Wife calls it Industrial Look.

But no more smoke in the house. Every once in a while I would let out the smoke and have to air the place out. I had dust/ash in house and this year will do 1 Ton Cleaning with Vacuum Cleaner and Metal Brush on the end (Cougar Ash Vac). Last year I figured that little dust won't amount to anything. Wrong.

I replaced BK King Wood Stove that dated from 1991. But it would go all night if loaded up at 8pm. Overkill trying to heat house at 30f. Roasts you Out!

Pellet stoves are not plug and play they need maintenance
and that includes cleaning
You also have to be able to handle 40 lb pellet bags
But at 70 I can still handle mine and love the stove
I do not mine the cleaning just need to know what to do. and as for the 40Lb bag I have a dolly and i know how to use it lol

Having only 1 year use, I found 40lb Bags lots easier. No more dealing with logs, bucking up, splitting (got easier last 2 years with splitter). Downside is now I spend $1,100, before I spent nothing except time and effort.

Lots more Maintenance than Wood Stove. Biggest downside is Wood Stove would run without Power. Pellet stove I have to have battery backup (Inverter and 100ah Battery for 6 hour run time). Wife calls it Industrial Look.

But no more smoke in the house. Every once in a while I would let out the smoke and have to air the place out. I had dust/ash in house and this year will do 1 Ton Cleaning with Vacuum Cleaner and Metal Brush on the end (Cougar Ash Vac). Last year I figured that little dust won't amount to anything. Wrong.

I replaced BK King Wood Stove that dated from 1991. But it would go all night if loaded up at 8pm. Overkill trying to heat house at 30f. Roasts you Out!
That is my only worry, when the electric goes out i could run the stove and now i need a battery hook up. So you are saying they are dusty?

Are you saying they are dusty, i dont mine the cleaning of them as long as I know what to do and when

I hope i get a manual but if not thanks, and the chimney is not stainless its a old block one it stands free standing in my home with stone so I was told a liner is needed Thanks