Buying an older used stove for install in basement - what do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I'm ready to go pick up this stove tomorrow AM http://nh.craigslist.org/for/628267091.html. Craig helped me identify it as a Kent Tile Fire. a couple of other links on this stove include http://pasurvivalprods.tripod.com/kent.html , http://www.consumerdemocracy.com/ph...px?pageId=219742&catId=78&category=Woodstoves and info from the HearthWiki here. I'd be using it for the basement where it would get light use, additional heat in coldest weather, and just to take the chill off here and there. It would require a new chimney which I would do as an exterior stainless pre-fab. My question really is whether this stove will be approvable by the building inspector here in Live Free or Die NH. The price is right. The people who own it got it with the house they bought several years ago and said the previous owners used it but they don't and they don't know anything more about it. I thinkit will meet our heat needs in this application just fine and it's quite unique which appeals to me. I can check for UL labels, etc, and the obvious overfire, fatigue issues. Assuming all checks out in those respects, what do you think?

That stove is a $75 USD nobrainer just offer them 50 first then buy it for 75 if they don't bite. If you do not want it in the fall stick a $300 price tag on it and sell it.

Looks like a great little stove to me. $65. Can't beat that. Good going ;-)

Go for it. If it doesn't pan out you could probably sell it for a profit and look for something else.

The cost of that stove will be minor compared to the cost of a chimney. Have you looked at the whole picture?

Thanks for your perspectives guys, they were pretty much along the lines of mine. Ken, yes I have looked at the cost of a chimney. We would be increasing the amount of finished space in our basement and adding a stove in that finished space would visually and literally warm the room up as well as providing the additional heat boost to make the whole house truly warm in even the most brutal cold. I'm fortunate to have acess to lots of woodland with virtually unlimited free wood for the cutting so a wood stove is my preferred way to go. An exterior chimney would be a relatively easy install in this situation though good insulated pipe sure is expensive as well as the associated braces, caps, labor. All in all with the right stove, a price I'm willing to pay. Most reasonable thing to do is just keep using the electric space heater as needed. Probably costs us $45.00 a season the way we use it now, but that's no fun. This particular stove appealed to me because of its place in the evolution of stoves. Kind of cool. (Notice the past tense) :long: Unfortunately I went to see it today and like so many old stoves, its been overfired and the top plate of the firebox is now warped creating gaps between it and the secondary chamber baffle. Also the baffle is fatigued and corroded. Too bad. Something else will show up when it's time. I would have probably had to store this stove for a couple of years before I had everything ready to install anyway so there's plenty of time and plenty of stoves that move through Craigslist. That's half the fun, just looking. Thanks all

Good for you being able to walk away from a serious repair job. The right stove will come along. In the meantime you can be busy insulating and finishing the space in preparation for the new stove.

BeGreen said:
Good for you being able to walk away from a serious repair job. The right stove will come along. In the meantime you can be busy insulating and finishing the space in preparation for the new stove.
Walking away was easy since parts for that old Kent would have been virtually non-existant. When I first saw the stove and started seriously considering it for the basement, the expansion of finished area suddenly came to me so that the stove was part of the room. LOL, now I have one more job on my Honey Do list! First thing though is just insulate the basement which currently has none.

Status
Not open for further replies.