Buying first insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

antagonism

Sep 29, 2018
Indianapolis, IN
New home owner here with a chimney liner that did not pass inspection, even after the seller had it "repaired". At the suggestion of the inspector, I am going to have a wood burning insert installed. I believe I have narrowed down my choices to four models, based on too much research, what is available locally, and what my wife considers aesthetically acceptable. If anyone has an opinion and/or experience with any of them, I would love to hear it.

Vermont Casting Merrimack or Montpelier
Blaze King Ashford 25
Hampton HI500

Originally, I preferred a non-cat model, as I didn't want to deal with the added complexity and potentially having to replace the catalyst every 2-3 years. Regency now warranties theirs for 10 years and there seem to be plenty of pro-cat opinions out there. The Ashford 25 has appeal because of the thermostat and apparent ease of use.

Thanks!

VC doesn't have the greatest reputation. Being made in China doesn't help it any IMO either.
I'm partial to my Jotul Rockland 550 insert. I'm not a cat fan but that's just me.

BK warrants their cat for 10 yrs also. How long it actually lasts will depend on how many hours it is active.

BK warrants their cat for 10 yrs also. How long it actually lasts will depend on how many hours it is active.
And proper door seal.

And not burning garbage.., and..,

So I have to ask, an insert because the liner repair failed. Does this new insert install include a new insulated stainless steel liner?

And not burning garbage.., and..,

So I have to ask, an insert because the liner repair failed. Does this new insert install include a new insulated stainless steel liner?

Yes, it does. After the chimney failed the second inspection, the sellers conceded and knocked $8k off the closing price of the house (what we were quoted to replace the chimney liner). Quotes for purchase and installation of a stove and appropriate liner have been around $5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Highbeam
I am a pro Regency user. I am on my second insert and now running a
I3100 with a potential of 80,000 BTU. A simple unit to run, blowers are pushing the heat across the house, have to close the bedroom doors upstairs to keep them cool. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

;? Explain that.
Explain what? My local dealer told me that the stoves were being made in China. Same plant as the Consolidated Dutchwest IIRC. I'm pretty sure most will agree that China has been producing some real crap.

My sisters VC stove in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont isn't worth the price of scrap metal. She had nothing but trouble with it. Both my brother and I are long time wood burners as was our father going back to the early 70's. Neither one of us could make that stove work. She got very frustrated and removed it and installed something else and it worked perfectly.

Explain what? My local dealer told me that the stoves were being made in China. Same plant as the Consolidated Dutchwest IIRC. I'm pretty sure most will agree that China has been producing some real crap.

My sisters VC stove in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont isn't worth the price of scrap metal. She had nothing but trouble with it. Both my brother and I are long time wood burners as was our father going back to the early 70's. Neither one of us could make that stove work. She got very frustrated and removed it and installed something else and it worked perfectly.
AFAIK VC stoves are still made in Randolf VT. Not every model is as bad as some of the earlier models and the inserts are of entirely different and simpler design. They have a decent reputation. Perhaps your sister had one of the infamous NeverBurn models?

And no, everything made in China is not crap. Just the cheap stuff.

Reactions: charger4406
AFAIK VC stoves are still made in Randolf VT. Not every model is as bad as some of the earlier models and the inserts are of entirely different and simpler design. They have a decent reputation. Perhaps your sister had one of the infamous NeverBurn models?

And no, everything made in China is not crap. Just the cheap stuff.
Actually being made in PA now not Vermont. But definitely not China. The Dutch West's weren't even from China they were Korean. And they were fantastic stoves for their day regardless. I am not a fan of most vc stuff but that dealer clearly had no clue.

Reactions: charger4406
Actually being made in PA now not Vermont. But definitely not China. The Dutch West's weren't even from China they were Korean. And they were fantastic stoves for their day regardless. I am not a fan of most vc stuff but that dealer clearly had no clue.

The older CDW was fantastic. The minimum thickness of the stove was around 5/16 and I remember them using that as a selling point. We had one in a house we owned in Washington NH and it would drive you right out of the house. Very very heavy stove. It was not made in the states and definitely came from SE Asia. I could tell from the writing on the box.

As I wrote, the local shop I bought my Jotul from told be China for both VC and DW. Maybe they were full of it.

A Google shows that "... VC pulled back to Randolph subcontracting done in Belgium, China and Washington state as the modernization increased the plant's capacity and reduced its operating costs". The article continues to say they were at 85-90% back under one roof. Valley News Business Writer, Published 6-16-18

Ok so it looks like the castings are still made in Vermont then the stoves are assembled in PA.

This posting is about inserts, not freestanding stoves, not Dutchwest either. VC inserts are not poorly made or complex inserts.

Reactions: bholler
I myself love the look of a Montpelier, almost bought it but then went to another dealer who was pushing Lopi stoves and got a cape cod. I personally wood take the ashford out of the ones you narrowed down to, but there is a lot of other great inserts too. It all depends what do you expect from the stove and what look is more appealing to you or better yet your wife. From my experience stay away from flushed inserts if you are looking for 24/7 burning. Their narrow and tapered fire boxes make it kind of difficult to load it. If you looking for good looks and not 24/7 burning they are great. Tell us more about size of your house floor plan chimney height expectations etc.

Thanks everyone for the input!

I myself love the look of a Montpelier, almost bought it but then went to another dealer who was pushing Lopi stoves and got a cape cod. I personally wood take the ashford out of the ones you narrowed down to, but there is a lot of other great inserts too. It all depends what do you expect from the stove and what look is more appealing to you or better yet your wife. From my experience stay away from flushed inserts if you are looking for 24/7 burning. Their narrow and tapered fire boxes make it kind of difficult to load it. If you looking for good looks and not 24/7 burning they are great. Tell us more about size of your house floor plan chimney height expectations etc.

I have a 3500 sqft house with an approximately 27' chimney in central Indiana. While I would love to greatly offset my heating bill with a larger protruding insert, my wife favors the more flush inserts (there's probably a joke here). Any particular reason why you wouldn't recommend the Ashford? The semi-automation of the thermostat has appeal, but I could be over complicating the operation of an insert in my mind.

Its not that I don’t recommend ashford in particular I just don’t recommend flush inserts. In my opinion they are not practical. For your size home you need a bigger fire box 3cf or more. Is there a way you could install a free standing stove? As far as me getting Lopi it was the sales man I knew nothing about wood stoves at all. If I knew then what I do know now I would have had a freestanding princess in my rec room downstairs(raised ranch). Which I am gone install eventually if not this year then next. Princess insert would perform better than the ashford but in your situation I think it still would be undersized.

Is there a way you could install a free standing stove?

Sadly, no. I like the free standing stoves more, visually and practically. However, my wife is dead set against them.

For your size home you need a bigger fire box 3cf or more.

I agree, but I have to take what I can get. I'm not delusional in thinking I will completely replace the need for my furnace, just excited by the prospect of offsetting the cost of my heating bills, while also getting a new toy.

Princess insert would perform better than the ashford...

Based on the looks of the Princess, I think I stand a better chance of getting approval for a free standing stove.

Well looks like you are pretty realistic. There is a lot of good looking inserts around. Enviro Boston, hearthstone Clydesdale comes to mind. I think that you won’t benefit from the low and slow burn which ashford will provide. I honestly think that tube stove will serve you better. Some people are happy with Lopi FPX which is a great looking stove also but it is a hybrid stove.

Im happy with my Montpelier had it 8 years. Heats my 1900 sft home. My brother in-law has the Merrimack. I would have went with the larger Merrimack if it was available. But today i would go with the Ashford, its a more efficient heater and i never heard a negative review.