buying used selkirk chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nadrojnad

Jul 7, 2022
Gatineau, Quebec
Hi,

I finally got my first wood stove (Drolet Escape 1500). I am looking to put a chimney in. I was hoping to save a little money by buying a used chimney. I found one that the pictures look good and the price is right. It is a Selkirk ALT/SC-1 superpro 2100. Some of the pipe is fairly new looking while a few other pieces have rust. But the owner says that he replaced it because his chimney sweep said that it was non-conforming due to rust and age. Could this be true? What other things should I be looking for that would make chimney pipe no longer WETT conforming?

Thanks!
1662927328390.png

Class A should be stainless steel, so I don't know where the rust would come in.

If one professional says it's no good, he might be wrong, but personally I'd leave it be and buy new. A chimney is going to last many years, it's worth doing it right.

The outer wall of allot of class a chimneys is 430 stainless and it will rust eventually. I would not ever recommend used chimney pipe. Especially if it is rusted.

Reactions: stoveliker