Bypass damper or not - newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodstock is mail order everywhere unless you live close enough to the factory to pick it up. The keystone is a GORGEOUS stove and I would very much like to have one haha!

Good luck with your choice, keep us updated with performance and photos.

We got our Phoenix on Friday. I made two break-in fires on Friday and one Saturday morning. I made our first "kind of" real fire late Saturday afternoon. My wife and I had tickets to the IU B-ball game so it was a quick and non-to successful fire. I did not get a very hot fire going. There is a bit of a learning curve to these new stoves. I thought I knew what I was doing after our break-in fires - not so. I later realized I failed to make a large enough bed of embers and maintain a hot enough temp for a clean burn of larger chunks. - Although a dirty burner, our Timberline was relatively simple.

Late Sunday afternoon I started another fire. This one was/is wonderful. I love this stove! The stove is humming along at about 400 F on the top stone and about 400 F with a surface flue thermometer (about 12" from stove). And! not a lick of smoke! I am very very happy. Here is a picture:

ed...

Attachments

• phoenix2.jpg
    phoenix2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 249
Congrats guy. That looks like one really nice heating beast.

Nice to hear a happy ending. Congratulations Ed. The stove looks great and safe, even has a mantle shield. How large a space will you be heating with the stove?

Our house is about 2000 ft^2 We want to heat just under half of that. The space where the stove sits is our dining room and kitchen. This is a adjacent (open) to a room with an 18 ft ceiling and below a loft. The adjacent room has a southern exposure with floor to ceiling windows (excellent solar heat gain on sunny winter days). We have quilted blinds for the evening but poor access to the houses forced air system. We hope that the Phoenix and a 60 ceiling fan will keep this space comfortable.

The Phoenix puts out a lot more heat than our old Timberline. I think on warmer days it may heat the whole house.

ed...

Status
Not open for further replies.